Can someone please explain this numberplate format?

Soldato
LETTER LETTER <space> NUMBER NUMBER NUMBER NUMBER

i.e

"AB 1234"

The garage I'm getting my celica from has a load of these that he said they let you "borrow" while your car is being registered in the UK.

Is this legal? Its a regular numberplate and not trade plates

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
While this thread is going, what is 123 A 123

Seem to be a few round where i live, and appear to have UK road tax etc so not foriegn :confused:

Associate
Jez said:
While this thread is going, what is 123 A 123

Seem to be a few round where i live, and appear to have UK road tax etc so not foriegn :confused:

that looks close to the format for diplomatic plates! :o

edit: 123 X 123 *is* diplomatic

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
MrMatteh said:
that looks close to the format for diplomatic plates! :o

edit: 123 X 123 *is* diplomatic

Ive seen quite a few and they are on really random cars like an old subaru legacy for example!

Soldato
OP
Rotty said:
just an old UK plate

yeah, ubt whats the legality should i drive around for a week with them on? or am I gonna have to wait for my celica's logbook to come through with its UK registration on it?

Don
Hate said:
yeah, ubt whats the legality should i drive around for a week with them on? or am I gonna have to wait for my celica's logbook to come through with its UK registration on it?

if its regsitered to the car then it's legal , surely it's going to cost them 80 quid to do this though :confused:

Soldato
Hate said:
I asked the dealer

its apparently a pool of plates registered to the garage for use on test drives

Sounds to me like they have a batch of 'moody' plates made for display purposes only that they use on the road. I'm 99.9% certain that they are illegal simple because you can't tax a car without it being properly registered. unless you are driving it on 'real' trade plates which means the plates themselves are taxed for road use (I think?)

Last edited:
Soldato
leigho said:
I think Diplomatic plates will always have a D in the middle rather than any letter.

all diplomatic cars have the format 123 D 123

The first three numbers are the country of origin, and the last three are unique to that car.

Thats only the format for this country

Back
Top Bottom