What Anti-Virus software ???

Associate
Hi All

I could do with a little advice on new Fire Wall and Anti-virus software.
What works the best, and they have to be reasonably simply to use and not get in the way of everything.
They don't have to be free ware. I'm someone who doesn't believe you get something worth having for nothing. Please don't mention Norton !
Thanks.

Associate
NOD32 for the AV. I've used it and loads of others (Including Kaspersky), and it is the only one which is light on using resources.

It's also one of the best at finding viruses.

NOD32 Excellent protection and very low resource usage.
Kaperspy Widely excepted as the best protection.
AVG Free!

mrk said:
AVAST is good, nod32 users will snort you to death though because it's free and thus must be not as good..

NOD32 users are right. :p :D

Associate
I recently moved over from the dreaded Norton Internet Security to NOD32, very happy with it so far as it doesn't hog your system's resources as much as Norton did.

You can download a 4 week trial from eset.com (*sp)

Use Kerio Personal Firewall generally & The Microsoft Firewall when gaming

Associate
It's got to be Kaspersky for AV and the windows SP2 firewall works for me. Then again I'm behind a router with firewall aswell.

Soldato
I'm also a Nod32 user, but whilst it is a good av prog, it hasnt stopped my machine from getting viruses and me being unaware I was infected until I did a routine scan on my pc. So viruses can still get in there and nod32 wont tell you so.

Soldato
NOD32 user here and I can't fault it one bit ;) Set Up linky

You can use this linky to make sure you have it set up okay, failing that, contact their support team as they are first class.

I use Sygate personal firewall pro and I've had no problems with that so far. :D

Associate
Jimbo said:
I'm also a Nod32 user, but whilst it is a good av prog, it hasnt stopped my machine from getting viruses and me being unaware I was infected until I did a routine scan on my pc. So viruses can still get in there and nod32 wont tell you so.

Probably after a definitions update. This is the same for all AVs, not just NOD32. :)

No AV will be able to protect you from viruses it doesn't know exist, only after it knows, it can find them.

Caporegime
Vlad Drac said:
Anybody given AVG pro or the complete anti-virus and firewall suite a try ? They sound pretty good.

AVG Pro doesn't come out too good when compared to others around -
http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse_2006_02.php

Here a good thread on AV software and users comments from real world experiences : http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=122699

For firewalls the peeps at Wilders seem to rate Jetico, Look n'stop, Outpost (not the free one) and Zone Alarm Pro. But a lot of them over there can be bit paranoid!

Personally I run Nod32 (2.5 now) - It's good, quick and low memory use. For a firewall I use Kerio v4 which is easy to configure, stable, unobtrusive, free and for me does not have too many compatability problems with other software.

Combine the above with Microsoft's Antispyware and it'll do most users out there. But at the end of the day it's all about what you get up to. I don't do dodgy sites, my browsing habits are unremarkable, I'm not spammed/hacked and I don't recive great volumes of emails or files.

Back
Top Bottom