The Hills Have Eyes (Merged)

Associate
The Hills Have Eyes

Just seen (most of) this film at work tonight and I have to say it looks pretty good. Only saw a bit at the beginning and the end, but after a slow start its does pick up.

Some parts are fairly disturbing like, I wont go into it but one part involves one of the 'bad guys' sucking breast milk out of a new mother while holding a gun to the baby....

Enjoyable ending tho', definatly worth a watch

Man of Honour
What a coincidence.
The bloke who gives me a lift to work pulled the DVD out of his bag this morning and said it was one of the worst fims he'd ever seen.
My Dad used to run a videovan service and when the film was first released he had it confiscated by Customs & Excise along with other films like I Spit On Your Grave etc.

Soldato
The Hills Have Eyes

Man, that is one messed up movie! Really creepy/shocking..and certainly not for the squeamish.

Just couldn't believe my eyes when thing started to, shall we say, unfold. :eek:

Very entertaining though and also has that bird from Lost in it looking mighty fine (the one with the baby).

Soldato
Watched this tonight, and as a horror movie it didn't really seem that messed up/scary to me :s... gruesome aye... didn't make me think though after coming out.

Worth a watch though I guess :)

Soldato
Watched this tonight.

Really good movie, but no new ideas at all really. It's a little better than the other stuff you might call "normal", though.

Phil.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
i probably wont watch this for the simple reason that myspace is annoying the hell out of me with all the bloody adverts for it!!

i'll probably be forced, though. last "scary" movie i saw was SAW II.

Soldato
OvertoneBliss said:
Really good movie, but no new ideas at all really..
Not really surprising though as it is a remake. When are film makers going to realise it's better not to do remakes but try something original. There are countless books/stories that have never been made but they keep reusing all the old stuff. Too much style over substance in films these days too.... ah well thats a whole other thread :)

Don't think I will bother watching this, unless I am bored out of my tree and there is nothing else to watch on TV whenever they get around to showing it.

Caporegime
Went to watch this last night, and can honestly say I REALLY enjoyed it. The first 40 mins had me jumping out of my seat about 3 or 4 times, the whole thing was stylishly shot, well-acted and had a decent script. Special effects were good and yes... twas very gruesome, we even had a few people leaving the cinema, don't think it was quite what they'd expected!

Very rare and refreshing to see a modern film with that level of twistedness and shock value, haven't seen one like it since House of 1000 corpses.

All in all i'd give it 8/10, very good film, and trust me I am very picky/critical about my movies. I may even buy it on DVD. :D

Soldato
I noticed a couple of couples leaving during the rape scene.

Spoilers below, be warned.

I must admit, that particular scene is quite a shocking piece of cinema, especially when he shoots that woman in the head, whilst the other is raping her sister.

Phil.

Associate
dmpoole said:
What a coincidence.
The bloke who gives me a lift to work pulled the DVD out of his bag this morning and said it was one of the worst fims he'd ever seen.
QUOTE]

me and a m8 got a taxi to the pics one time to see batman begins, the driver asks what we were seeing and we told him batman, his response was " yah divin wanna see that man its a load of *****".

what a complete moron he was lol.

Soldato
I thought this review summed it up nicely..

"Travelling across the desolate New Mexico desert with their weathered trailer, the Carter family stop off at a petrol station where the creepy attendant advises them to take a particularly desolate shortcut. Throwing common sense and caution to the wind, head of the family "Big" Bob (Levine) complies, accompanied by wife Ethel (Quinlan) and their three children, Brenda (de Ravin), Bobby (Byrd), Lynn (Shaw), Lynn's husband Doug (Stanford) and their infant. Before long they find themselves with their SUV totalled and malevolent genetic mutants watching them from the hillsides.

Based on Wes Craven’s 1977 cult classic of the same name (Craven acts as a producer here), Aja's movie is of the rare brand of remakes which arguably surpass their source material rather than being the latest in a line of pointless rehashes. A fresh interpretation of the material, the scene is set as the opening credits roll backed by combined images of the testing of nuclear weapons and physical deformities, adding a deeper social context to the bloodshed.

Aja crafts the movie skilfully, with minimal violence until halfway through the film. In the meantime, there are plenty of false alarms and a palpable sense of terror is created before the gore sets in, and when it does, it more than makes up for lost time. The level of blood and guts being splattered about the place is particularly high for a mainstream feature, and effective use of the family relationships as well as a shocking rape scene go to make The Hills Have Eyes a sickening movie as well as a scary one.

Naturally, the film isn't free of those old horror movie clichés (which have become even more so since Craven’s first outing with the story) – the group begin their troubles by taking a dangerous short-cut, later they venture into a dark mine and naively expect supposedly dead attackers not to rise up again, all of which make for ‘look behind you’ moments. Equally, the characterisation isn't spectacular, but it’s good enough for the audience to care about which ones survive, an element which is refreshingly unpredictable. It's also good to see the spunky Carters putting up a proper fight against the mutants, including a particularly vengeful dog.

The Hills Have Eyes is far from being a must-see for the average cinemagoer, but it has much to offer for hardened horror fans. "

Gave it four stars too.

Associate
dmpoole said:
So you think I'm a moron because I think the original Hills Have Eyes is crap?

In no way did imply or call you a moron in any way, i do think that you need to re read my post though, i was comparing your m8 saying it was one of the worst films ever to the taxi driver in my post who thought batman begins was rubbish.

and i was calling the taxi driver a moron because as most ppl will recognise, batman begins is a fantastic film.

oh yeah and u do need to chill out.

Back
Top Bottom