• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reasonable ??

Associate
Just got my hands on a a BGF 7800GT OC (425 Mhz core) and with the rig as per sig I got the following 3D Mark05 score: 7063

Is this about right ?
Can I clock the card further ??

Its a big step up from my old 6800GT anyway, F.E.A.R. look awesome ;)

Associate
ademcg said:
Just got my hands on a a BGF 7800GT OC (425 Mhz core) and with the rig as per sig I got the following 3D Mark05 score: 7063

Is this about right ?

I'd say that score is a bit low. I get 7107 with an x850xt (specs in sig) so i would have thought that a 7800gt would beat that.

Here's the link to my score as i notice in another thread that people seem to not believe scores without proof :confused:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1862051

Zeph.

Associate
OP
Jack Bauer said:
Lo m8. Lee btw You got it on high performance?

Hey Lee, nice to hear from ya, you accepted me as an X-Fire contact ? :D

As for high performance, not quite sure where you set this up.
If you mean in the nVidia control panel where you set screen resolution and stuff, I think it is set to "quality" or something like that.

I might have a bit of a play tonight, see what I can get.

The card is top drawer BTW, and F.E.A.R. is,,.................well I am stumped for words :cool:

Associate
OP
Zephyrus said:
I'd say that score is a bit low. I get 7107 with an x850xt (specs in sig) so i would have thought that a 7800gt would beat that.

Here's the link to my score as i notice in another thread that people seem to not believe scores without proof :confused:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1862051

Zeph.

lol,...I will post screenies tonight, I only have 1 Gig of RAM (2*512Mb dual channel) perhaps that helps the benchmark ?

I will have a bash with 3DMark06 see what score it will turn in,.....obviously lower than 3D05.

Associate
ademcg said:

Is this about right ?

At stock that is about right, although you should be able to clock to about 475/1150 ish with std cooler which will probably add about 800 points!!

you could also try adding an after market cooler and volt modding the card for further clocks if you are that way inclined. i did it to mine and it clocks to 499/1190. from what i've heard the BFG cards don't seem to go above 500 except for a small minority

Associate
OP
ajgoodfellow said:
Yeah set it to performance - quality sometimes adds AA & AF, higher texture detail and/or vSync which reduce performance

When you're benchmarking you want the best score possible

TBH, I was just looking to see what improvement it was over the 6800GT, didn't think about getting the best benchie,........would having 2 Gig of RAM make that much difference to the 3D mark ??

More CPU and GPU intensive I would have thought.

As for replacing the HSF, I did think of it when I first powered it up,...blimey it is a lot louder than my 6800Gt / AC NV5 combo, but it lights up blue so I guess I can bear it ! :D

Associate
OP
teggs said:
At stock that is about right, although you should be able to clock to about 475/1150 ish with std cooler which will probably add about 800 points!!

you could also try adding an after market cooler and volt modding the card for further clocks if you are that way inclined. i did it to mine and it clocks to 499/1190. from what i've heard the BFG cards don't seem to go above 500 except for a small minority

I some how knew Teggs would go the extra mile in the OC department :p
I might need to bend your ear about Opty Dualies though :D

Soldato
ademcg said:
TBH, I was just looking to see what improvement it was over the 6800GT, didn't think about getting the best benchie,........would having 2 Gig of RAM make that much difference to the 3D mark ??

More CPU and GPU intensive I would have thought.

As for replacing the HSF, I did think of it when I first powered it up,...blimey it is a lot louder than my 6800Gt / AC NV5 combo, but it lights up blue so I guess I can bear it ! :D

Having 2GB of memory won't make much of a difference, if any, to 3D Mark

It just leads to a smoother system and it can help with some games

Associate
OP
Guys,
Looking at your suggestions got me thinking so I tried again on High Performance setting, here is the 3DMark05 score:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a272/ademcg/7800GTclock450HighPerformancesettin.jpg

I am thinking of tweaking it a little more, I have used ATI tool [Beta] in the past, this still reasonable ?
I guess I won't see much increase from the memory (always seems to be the way ) but the core on a quick round of ATI tool was at 480 MHz with no artifacts after over an hour ?
Thoughts ??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom