Trouble starting me car

Soldato
Hey,

Well lately my car has been a tad strange. Sometimes it starts instantly, then others (like tonight) took ages to start then usual. For example just now i had to crank it over for about 5 seconds, then i had to do it for another 4 seconds after giving it a little time to rest before it started! Now a few days ago i thought it was the battery, but i think i have just confirmed it is not, today i have driven 2 1/2 hours on motorway. So really my battery should be fully charged.

Any ideas?

M0T

M0T

Soldato
If the battery is knackered then it may not be holding the charge properly regardless of how long its been driven.

Could need new spark plugs, HT leads, damp electrics, low fuel pressure.

Soldato
Give it a bit of throttle. I had a Mk2 Focus 1.6 for a week which sometimes struggled to start without throttle when cold.

Not sure how to cure it though.

Soldato
OP
Ahh yes sorry for being a bit thin on the info there. Yes its a 1.6 Focus Zetec (Petrol Zetec-S engine). Well it cranks all fine like usual, so the motor and battery are fine there.

Soldato
OP
NickXX said:
Give it a bit of throttle. I had a Mk2 Focus 1.6 for a week which sometimes struggled to start without throttle when cold.

Not sure how to cure it though.

Nope never had this before all the time i owned it. :) Also the Mk2 has the Zetec-SE, mine has the Zetec-S as its the Mk1.

Associate
TaKeN said:
Could be the cold weather..

I think there is a way of adjusting the auto choke for cold weather :)

I will do some research :D

Yes the choke is attached to the big pile of carburettors sitting in a Ford spare parts bin disbanded years ago...

You want to be checking things like spark plugs, HT leads, temp sensors...

Does the engine splutter/try to fire when you're cranking it over?

Associate
Iain said:
Had the same kind of problem with our Focus before Winter came in. One day it just wouldn't start. Turned out that the fuel pump had given up :rolleyes:

That's a good suggestion actually, turn the ignition on (don't start the engine) and see if the fuel pump is making strange noises.

Soldato
OP
alextgreen said:
Yes the choke is attached to the big pile of carburettors sitting in a Ford spare parts bin disbanded years ago...

You want to be checking things like spark plugs, HT leads, temp sensors...

Does the engine splutter/try to fire when you're cranking it over?

Nope it just has no life, then suddenly starts all up.

Soldato
alextgreen said:
That's a good suggestion actually, turn the ignition on (don't start the engine) and see if the fuel pump is making strange noises.

Do you hear the fuelpump prime at all? As was said above that'd be a good starting point. My mates 106gti fuel pump randomly started to die and did this kind of thing.

Soldato
OP
Well i did a quick check of the major bits, i found one of the HT leads was not all the way plugged onto the regulator.

What should it sound like when its priming it?

Back
Top Bottom