GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Associate
Hi there,

I'm gonna go for the full weights thing tonight, now I've printed off some stuff from ExRx and was going to take it along with me (basically the stuff relating to the excercises on page 1 of this thread). Now I'm guessing that any decent gym Insructor will know these Excercises so he/she won't looked confused when I start showing them bits of paper. I'm gonna be going on my own so will have no one to spot me (hopefully will meet some people down there who will lol). I've never messed about with free weights before so i'm very concious that I need to do things right and avoid injury as well as looking stupid!!

Gordy, where abouts are you in Essex? Fancy giving some instruction???? ;) I'm in Chelmsford.....

Permabanned
pabloB said:
Hi there,

I'm gonna go for the full weights thing tonight, now I've printed off some stuff from ExRx and was going to take it along with me (basically the stuff relating to the excercises on page 1 of this thread). Now I'm guessing that any decent gym Insructor will know these Excercises so he/she won't looked confused when I start showing them bits of paper. I'm gonna be going on my own so will have no one to spot me (hopefully will meet some people down there who will lol). I've never messed about with free weights before so i'm very concious that I need to do things right and avoid injury as well as looking stupid!!

Gordy, where abouts are you in Essex? Fancy giving some instruction???? ;) I'm in Chelmsford.....

Just relax and make sure you enjoy yourself, if you get embarrassed and end up not enjoying yourself, it will become a chore, and won't be long until you quit.

As you're new to the gym, I suggest getting used to the weights first, and getting comfortable with that you're doing. Then start lifting as heavy as you can with those different excersises.

Nothing worse with going for a big lift straight in the first session and it all goes **** up :p

Associate
iCraig said:
Just relax and make sure you enjoy yourself, if you get embarrassed and end up not enjoying yourself, it will become a chore, and won't be long until you quit.

As you're new to the gym, I suggest getting used to the weights first, and getting comfortable with that you're doing. Then start lifting as heavy as you can with those different excersises.

Nothing worse with going for a big lift straight in the first session and it all goes **** up :p

Haha Would lift more than I was capable of mate, I'm far too sensible for that!!! Just be nice to have someone else there who truly knows what they are doing. Can't beat experience

Permabanned
pabloB said:
Haha Would lift more than I was capable of mate, I'm far too sensible for that!!! Just be nice to have someone else there who truly knows what they are doing. Can't beat experience

Spot on, you may meet a friend down there who can spot you.

Failing that, print off this thread to read as you work out. :p

Associate
just recently got some dextrose and maltodrextin and had my first lot in my post workout shake today and holy cow it was sweet! i put 25g's in for both. Is that too much?

looking at the myprotein website on the two, it looks as if ive had about 300 calories from this stuff! is it really that much or am i missing something?

andy

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
brocksta said:
just recently got some dextrose and maltodrextin and had my first lot in my post workout shake today and holy cow it was sweet! i put 25g's in for both. Is that too much?

looking at the myprotein website on the two, it looks as if ive had about 300 calories from this stuff! is it really that much or am i missing something?

andy

25g malto mixed with 25g dextrose comes out to 200 calories. It should be sweet it's a form of sugar. :)

As for whether or not its too much will depend upon the person. I use exactly the same measurements as you and find it perfect for replenishing my muscle glycogen post workout.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Hey all

Just joined the gym, and i'm wondering if machine weights are ok to start off with? Did some free weights few years ago, and at the moment i'm around 99% fat/.5% muscle and .5% hair :(

Don't really want to lose weight, as I'm pretty short and weigh a massive 8 stones, just increase muscle vs fat.

Also, is it ok to do weights -

Monday - Cardio/some weights
Tuesdays - Upper body
Wednesday - Lower body
Thursday - cardio
Friday - full body

Then no more weights till Monday. Is that too much?

Thanks for any advice :)

Raza

Permabanned
Raz said:
Hey all

Just joined the gym, and i'm wondering if machine weights are ok to start off with? Did some free weights few years ago, and at the moment i'm around 99% fat/.5% muscle and .5% hair :(

Don't really want to lose weight, as I'm pretty short and weigh a massive 8 stones, just increase muscle vs fat.

Also, is it ok to do weights -

Monday - Cardio/some weights
Tuesdays - Upper body
Wednesday - Lower body
Thursday - cardio
Friday - full body

Then no more weights till Monday. Is that too much?

Thanks for any advice :)

Raza

You might run the risk of over training, you need to give your muscles a bit of rest after each workout. If I was you, I would split my weight lifting to, Mon Wed Fri, and doing some cardio of a weekend.

It depends on your long term goals, maybe lifting weights on Monday and Wednesday, and doing cardio on a Friday will help you cut a bit better.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
iCraig said:
You might run the risk of over training, you need to give your muscles a bit of rest after each workout. If I was you, I would split my weight lifting to, Mon Wed Fri, and doing some cardio of a weekend.

It depends on your long term goals, maybe lifting weights on Monday and Wednesday, and doing cardio on a Friday will help you cut a bit better.

Ok, thanks for that. How bout monday, wednesday, friday for weights and tuesday/thursday cardio? Is it ok to do some cardio (20-30mins) before weights?

Raz

Associate
Raz said:
Ok, thanks for that. How bout monday, wednesday, friday for weights and tuesday/thursday cardio? Is it ok to do some cardio (20-30mins) before weights?

Raz

As far as i know, its better to do cardio after the weights otherwise it will affect the amount you can lift.

Your still doing too much mate, why not just do cardio after youve finished weights?

Soldato
OP
I think it's down to the individual really. Personally I don't do any form of cardio on my lifting days. I feel that if I were to perform 20-30 mins of cardio straight before lifting (especially if it is HIIT) then I would be too pooped to put 100% effort in to my lifting and therefore slow down my overall progress.

It's all down to what your goals are. If you are primarily trying to lose fat then cardio, at any time of day, be it pre or post workout is going to be beneficial. However if your primary goal is to gain muscle then I would recommend doing your cardio on a different day or at the very least doing it after your lifting.

Then again, everyone likes to do things differently and as always whats right for one person isn't right for another. If you're trying to gain muscle then your primary objective in the gym should be increasing your lifts and for a lot of people performing serious cardio before hand could be detrimental to that goal. Having said all this a 5-10 minute fast walk or light jog shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just listen to your body and and as long as you are progressing with your lifts then you are doing fine.

Associate
Raz said:

Raz

The split sounds ok.

I'd rather do a full body 2-3 times a week personally, they offer best bang for buck IMO.

Cardio before training is a no no as far as i'm concerned. Cardio should be as far away from weight training as possible.

Soldato
Im a bit annoyed.
Ive just come to weight myself, and i think the scales are knackered.
Depending on where i am in the room, it gives me different readings!
So now i dont know if the readings ive been taking over the past month are correct or not!? :confused: :mad:

Soldato
BoomAM said:
Im a bit annoyed.
Ive just come to weight myself, and i think the scales are knackered.
Depending on where i am in the room, it gives me different readings!
So now i dont know if the readings ive been taking over the past month are correct or not!? :confused: :mad:

I think it would be the same in a lot of houses, my scales are in the bathroom at the minute and I only ever weigh myself in the bathroom for the reason you state above. I've weighed myself in the kitchen before and it sometimes 2-3lbs different than in my bathroom. Just keep your scales in the same place (don't move it around the room) and only ever weigh yourself there. It'll give you the most accurate reading of your weight loss. :)

Just a general question for anyone in the forum... Do you guys wear anything when you're lifting, like gloves or elbow or knee supports?

Last edited:
Soldato
BoomAM said:
Ive taken about 20 readings from around the 'usual' area, and it appears ive put on .3 in a matter of days. Is that even possible?

Yep, it's water weight, depending on what time of day it is, my weight could vary by 3-4lbs. It sounds like you weigh yourself quite a lot. Stop! :) Don't let the scales take over, otherwise you'll lose faith and confidence in yourself during your weight loss period. Weigh yourself once a week. Have a look over in General Discussion for the official OCuk weightloss thread. It may encourage you and show you to not take the scales reading as the Gospel. I know a few people who have abandoned weighing themselves, and go by how they look in the mirror and they are much more motivated. :)

Back
Top Bottom