GordyR's Beginners Guide to Bodybuilding

Soldato
BoomAM said:
Ive taken about 20 readings from around the 'usual' area, and it appears ive put on .3 in a matter of days. Is that even possible?

This does not sound like you weigh yourself once a week.

edit probably badly worded, but more than once a week is too much and you'll only lose confidence as your weight will naturally fluctuate anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tony Soprano said:
This does not sound like you weigh yourself once a week.

edit probably badly worded, but more than once a week is too much and you'll only lose confidence as your weight will naturally fluctuate anyway.
The 20 times thing was just to take an average from the scales. To see if they were faulty or not. :p

So should i be weighing myself once every 2 weeks instead?

Soldato
:) It's up to you really, have you noticed any difference looking in the mirror so far? You're probably aiming to lose around 1-3lbs a week to lose weight safely, but you may find that looking in the mirror that you're happy being a few pounds heavier than your target weight. I really hope I haven't confused you there.

Soldato
Tony Soprano said:
:) It's up to you really, have you noticed any difference looking in the mirror so far? You're probably aiming to lose around 1-3lbs a week to lose weight safely, but you may find that looking in the mirror that you're happy being a few pounds heavier than your target weight. I really hope I haven't confused you there.
Im finding that i cant see a difference in the Mirror.
Maybe its because ive got a lot to lose before i see a difference?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Hey all

1.Is Soya protein powder from H&B any good? Can't have whey powder drinks, so is this a viable alternative? Also, what are the benefits of have these drinks?

2. Are machine weights useless? :)

thanks

Raz

Soldato
Not so sure on your first question. But they are probably benificial if they have protein in them.
As to answer your second question free weights require you body (as I understand it) to stabalize itself when lifting weights i.e. it uses more muscles. Plus you can do so much with so little equipment.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
suicidle_tramp said:
Not so sure on your first question. But they are probably benificial if they have protein in them.
As to answer your second question free weights require you body (as I understand it) to stabalize itself when lifting weights i.e. it uses more muscles. Plus you can do so much with so little equipment.

Ok, thanks. Only really just started using weights and at the gym the free weight section is almost always busy. Thought I could start off on the machines then move across after a few weeks.

Is it good to eat carbs after a workout (say a jacket potato with tuna)?

Raz

Soldato
Raz said:
Ok, thanks. Only really just started using weights and at the gym the free weight section is almost always busy. Thought I could start off on the machines then move across after a few weeks.

You could go in the morning, i've found that my gym is usually quiet at that time. Although that's if it's possible.

Raz said:
Is it good to eat carbs after a workout (say a jacket potato with tuna)?

Raz

Yes, but get protein in aswell. Lots of carbs and protein is what your diet needs.

Permabanned
suicidle_tramp said:
You could go in the morning, i've found that my gym is usually quiet at that time. Although that's if it's possible.

Yes, but get protein in aswell. Lots of carbs and protein is what your diet needs.

The tuna will have a nice amount of protein in. Don't concentrate on protein too much, try to split the diets into

1/3 Protein
1/3 Complex carbs
1/3 Good fats

Soldato
When you say good fats, where do these usually come from?

I usually have museli for breakfast, a baguette with either tuna, scrambled egg and bacon, or beef and salad for lunch. A lot of the time I have pasta for dinner. Do these have enough good fats in them?

Permabanned
Good fats come from;

Oily fish, rich in omega 3-6 oils

Olives and olive oil (extra virgin)

peanuts and almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds

Avocados are also a brilliant source of unsaturated fat.

Last edited:
Permabanned
suicidle_tramp said:
Thanks iCraig :) I get quite a lot of olive oil through pasta though I think I should up it a bit.

I snack on an assortment of nuts/seeds between breakfast and lunch to keep my metabolism up and to give myself some good fats.

Olive Oil is a decent source, but too much ruins the taste of the food IMO. :)

Soldato
Im getting annoyed now.
Ive put on again. Not a lot. But about 2-3 pound. Baring in mind i havnt eaten much today, and it is a Gym day its a little alarming.

I am finding that on nights when i work late, like thursday & fridays, i'd be getting my tea at 6, and then at 9-10 at work, i'd be having some microwavable rice. Would that likely have attributed to the gain/s im having?

Soldato
OP
BoomAM said:
Im getting annoyed now.
Ive put on again. Not a lot. But about 2-3 pound. Baring in mind i havnt eaten much today, and it is a Gym day its a little alarming.

I am finding that on nights when i work late, like thursday & fridays, i'd be getting my tea at 6, and then at 9-10 at work, i'd be having some microwavable rice. Would that likely have attributed to the gain/s im having?

A 2-3 lb loss or gain means nothing really mate. I vary as much as 5-7 lb's depending on what time of day I weigh myself and depending on what I have been eating. Water weight....

Also you have to remember that if you are doing resistance training then you will likely be gaining some muscle, which weights more than fat as I am sure you are aware. Although you may be in a calorie deficit if you are relatively new to weight lifting then it is possible to gain a few pounds of muscle while you are losing fat.

The scales really can be so misleading so try not to put so much emphasis on them. If you aren't losing weight fast enough then you need to tweak your diet some more. Keep dropping your daily calorie intake by 200 per day each week until you start seeing a nice healthy rate of weight loss.

Back
Top Bottom