External Ethernet HD for Squeezebox Server?

Associate
Hi

Wondering if anyone can help me in this.

I have a Squeezebox 3 music server that I use to wirelessly stream music from my PC to my stereo system downstairs but, as I use a Lacie USB2 HD to store all my music on, I can't access anything unless my PC is on. I'm not keen on leaving my PC on all day, so was looking at one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Lacie_NAS.html

So, if I store all my music on here & run the Slimserver software on it too, will I be able to access my music when my PC is off?

There is also something called a Qnap TS-101 that is supposed to be set up for use with the Squeezebox, but isn't that a more expensive version of the same thing?

Thanks for any help. :)

Soldato
Depends on how your Media Centre box works mainly.

I have the D-Link box, and that needs a piece of server software running on a PC to operate.

I have read that if all of your devices are uPnP compatible then they should be able to talk, but TBH I don't know how true that is.

My PCs stay on 24/7, but I keep all the media on an external NAS drive to keep the PCs 'clean', and the server software just points to the meda on the NAS drive to stream.

Dunno if this helps you much.

Hav

Associate
OP
Havana_UK said:
Depends on how your Media Centre box works mainly.

I have the D-Link box, and that needs a piece of server software running on a PC to operate.

I have read that if all of your devices are uPnP compatible then they should be able to talk, but TBH I don't know how true that is.

My PCs stay on 24/7, but I keep all the media on an external NAS drive to keep the PCs 'clean', and the server software just points to the meda on the NAS drive to stream.

Dunno if this helps you much.

Hav

Thanks, that's pretty much how mine is running at the moment, I was just wondering if a networked (ie ethernet) hard drive would let me access my music with my PC off...

Has anyone tried this? Got any ideas?

Thanks

Ben

Associate
You could use a NSLU-2 with the hacked firmware and run the SlimServer on that; means you wouldn't have to have your PC on to get access to your music.

Back
Top Bottom