building a pc advice please :)

Associate
hi guys, i'm building a new comp after moving to mac a year ago for work related reasons. anyway, i miss my games so i've gotta get back into it so this powerbook is getting shipped out and i've got about £1300 to play with. oh, and i don't have to pay tax, this is going through the business :)

i'm still in love with osx so i'll be getting a mini down the line and running it through a kvm dvi switch.. which means i'm building a small form factor'ish. i'm not going the whole shuttle route, but i like the silverstone sugo case, so i'll be getting a micro atx board. will this effect gaming much? and when i list my parts, if somebody could be so kind as to tell me whether what i would like to get would fit i'd be very grateful! right onto the gear

BenQ FP202W 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 269.95 (is this the best widescreen for my budget? viewsonic and belina looked identical but this was cheaper..)

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 - 189.95 (love corsair, not flexible on this)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - OEM - 162.95 (this seems like the best CPU for my buck on the market?)

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g) - 2.95

Zalman CNPS9500-LED Aero Flower - 29.95 (will this fit in my case?)

Asus A8N-VM CSM Micro ATX - 49.95 (the best micro-atx board i could find?)

Silverstone Sugo SG01 Aluminium Mini PC - 72.95 (i love the look of this case so i'd like to stick to it..)

BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - 219.95 (i am tempted to go upto the 7900GTX but would i notice a big difference, honestly?)

Enermax Noisetaker 485W EG495AX-VE(G) SFMA ATX2.0 PSU - 44.95 (is that going to power up this baby?)

Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM - 53.95 (heard good things about this..)

Pioneer DVR-110BK 16 x 16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter - (Black) OEM - 25.95 (gotta make them dvds!)

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition - Retail - 114.93 (now i love my sound and this will be hooked up to a set of Sennheiser HD650's. what's the difference between this and the pro model? i'm tempted to upgrade there, but would i notice a difference? - it might also look tidier too!)

mouse and keyboard has already been factored in (getting a copperhead!)

anyway that works out around £1,314.23 (not incl. vat yay!). But does anybody think upgrading the sound and vid card? would the vid card even fit into the case anyway and what do people think of the differences?

thanks for any advice

Associate
OP
**bump**

nobody offer any advice? anyone know if the cooler will fit in the case? is there a better one that'll run cooler and quieter?

cheers

Soldato
The microATX mobo will run fine with things at stock but they are not soo good for overclocking.

Stick with the 7900 GT OC as it is single slot & runs much cooler than the 7900GTX. The performance increase isnt worth the extra cost, heat, size or noise.

I think you will be fine with the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty.

Get the X2 3800+ Retail insteadm as the retail cooler is smaller & is fine if not greatly overclocking.

Associate
been relooking at these myself

that cpu h/s fan will not fit its to big can only have ones 78 in height i think it is the actual ng03 h/s fan from silverstone is made for this case and gets great reveiws fans are on the side so the heat goes out of the holes on side of case but its about 32 quid i think

Back
Top Bottom