England Goalkeeper

Soldato
Who should it be. Following yet another mistake by Seaman should we have a new number 1? I have personally liked Seaman as a keeper for sometime & until recently had thought he should remain & not just because of the mistakes, but because he now often looks very uncertain & that is not something you want to see in the National keeper.

If you say yes he should step down, then who would you have replace him?

Soldato
I think maybe we should give Robinson a go but the commentators yesterday were saying David James is the #2 keeper, he was on the bench wasnt he?

Personally i think Sven will keep Seaman in goal for a while yet.

Man of Honour
Go youth

I say Robinson

Build for the furture not for the present

it is a problem the entire england set up has had for a number of years going with older more experienced paleyers who are playing sometimes poorly

Isay fresh approach go for the youth and build a team for WC 2006 not one for today and tommorrow

Soldato
Seaman is the best in country simple as that really so he should be first choice, he is getting a lot of stick imo which he shouldnt be getting.

s-p

s-p

Associate
I'm not sure if I'd go with Robinson. He's not had one full season in the Prem yet (as first choice keeper), so whether he'd be experienced enough to replace Seaman I don't know.

6 months ago I would have said Martin should replace Seaman. Now I just don't know. Probably best of giving James a go.

Last edited:

G

I'd go with David James. I rate him pretty highly: he's improved lots since he left Liverpool.

I was hoping Seaman would have two good games (vs Slovakia and FYROM), then be able to retire with us virtually qualified. Now, he's been poor in both games and will be desperate to redeem himself :( I'm pretty sure he'll be out of the picture by the next game though, and it's sad to see him end in such a way. He should have retired after the world cup, where he was pretty good IMO.

Soldato
give james and robinson a chance

seamen lost us the world cup, as did shilton in '90. thats the problem with england, we always stick with the deadwood for too long

Man of Honour
Originally posted by memphisto
Go youth

I say Robinson

Build for the furture not for the present

it is a problem the entire england set up has had for a number of years going with older more experienced paleyers who are playing sometimes poorly

Isay fresh approach go for the youth and build a team for WC 2006 not one for today and tommorrow

Respect, respect to the man most high.

I agree :cool:

Soldato
Put Robinson in now and leave him there. Only thing thats gonna happen though is that Sven will stick with Seaman, and maybe only give James a game or two which wont give him time to impress.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Gilly
I agree about Robinson and Kirkland but Wright is even worse than Seaman

Oh please, he's not that bad. He has tons of potential and has been playing well for Everton after a shaky start. He was excellent at Ipswich but had a bad year at Arsenal, but you don't turn into a bad player overnight.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Davey_Pitch
Oh please, he's not that bad. He has tons of potential and has been playing well for Everton after a shaky start. He was excellent at Ipswich but had a bad year at Arsenal, but you don't turn into a bad player overnight.

But you do over the course of a season or two.

He's the worst keeper I've seen for a long time. Can't believe the silly money Everton spent on him.

I'd rather have you in the net ;)

Associate
Originally posted by Gilly
I agree about Robinson and Kirkland but Wright is even worse than Seaman

Wright was great for Ipswich, so the potential IS there. He needs some confidence though.

I think that Sven will go with James though if he drops Seaman :(

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Bungee
Wright was great for Ipswich, so the potential IS there. He needs some confidence though.

I think that Sven will go with James though if he drops Seaman :(

Look at Nicky Weaver for an example.

He had one great season (as Pob did)
Got into the England setup (as Pob did)
He held down a first-team place in the Prem (as Pob did)
He was looked at by a few teams (as Pob was)
He's now rubbish (as Pob is)

It's not the first time and it won't be the last. Wright is already leagues behind Robinson, the only young keeper in the country that I've seen with a chance of catching Robbo is Kirkland. Just a shame he's not playing first team so we can really see how good he is.

Associate
He's now rubbish

Oh come on! Wright is a decent keeper, and if he gets a good run with Everton maybe his confidence will improve to what it was. You don't turn into a bad goalkeeper overnight.
I am not saying he should be in the England setup now, but if his Ipswich form returns, then he's one to look at.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Bungee
Oh come on! Wright is a decent keeper, and if he gets a good run with Everton maybe his confidence will improve to what it was. You don't turn into a bad goalkeeper overnight.
I am not saying he should be in the England setup now, but if his Ipswich form returns, then he's one to look at.

No, you don't turn into a bad keeper overnight. But Wright has done nothing useful since well before leaving Ipswich. Arsenal did well to offload him without paying someone to take him off them.

Thats nearly two full seasons he's been a shocking player, though I've not seen him at the start of this season.

Back
Top Bottom