What to do in Hong Kong

Soldato
OP
"how about you buy lots and lotss of computer bits and flood the Members market with them... after you have used them of course"

would love to Sanzy, but I have had my MM privelages removed for a few small enfringements :(

Soldato
Good thread (just cos I happen to be going to hong kong and Japan this time next year, w00t).

As I am going to Japan as well, I shall certainly consider the Godzilla rampage :p

Soldato
MikeTimbers said:
Take the cross-harbour ferry (day and night crossings)
Take the tram from Causeway bay to Central
Take the mid-levels escalator
Take the peak railway late in the afternoon so you can see HK harbour in daylight and nightime
Visit Stanley market, Aberdeen, Kowloon (Nathan Road - don't buy a watch!)
Get drunk in Wan Chai (not Lan Kwai Fong - too expensive and ex-pat) Wan Chai is way more fun.
Go to Central on a Sunday. Deeply bizarre sight.

If you've got any shopping budget, I'd recommend Pacific Custom Tailors in Pacific Place (3rd floor). Go see them as soon as you get to HK and get yourself some truly great clothes made. Yes, you can get cheaper elsewhere but you won't get better. I have suits I bought there ten years ago and they're still brilliant (if a little tight around the old tummy!) Their shirts are superb as well. Get one of the deals - a suit with a spare pair of trousers, blazer, two pairs of slacks and five shirts. Sorted for the next five years at least.

take a boat trip from Aberdeen to Lamma Island. Quite fun, very laid-back, used to be full of travellers smoking dope but that was a while back. Fresh seafood there is very good.

Listen to this guy :p Was going to reply until I read this! Definitely go to the Peak, and take the ferry in the evening when it is darker. HK looks great from there.

Soldato
Raikiri said:
As I am going to Japan as well, I shall certainly consider the Godzilla rampage :p
Good for you man! Although avoid being killed at the end of it because.. you know... shipping of corpses is much more expensive nowadays, and all the paperwork! Don't want your family to get done for corpse trafficking, what with all those necrophiliacs around....

Soldato
panthro said:
Listen to this guy :p Was going to reply until I read this! Definitely go to the Peak, and take the ferry in the evening when it is darker. HK looks great from there.

I remember sitting on the cross-harbour ferry one Saturday, on my way to get a haircut in Kowloon, reading an article in the South China Morning Post, which said "You know you've been in Hong Kong too long when you read the South China Morning Post on the cross-harbour ferry!"

Soldato
Ooooh I'm so jealous, I really want to go to Hong Kong :(

Why don't you try the Disney land/world??? that's just opened there! My friend visited just before christmas whilst he was on his elective I think (I should really keep in touch with him)

Have an awesome time whatever you do :)

Associate
MikeTimbers said:
Did you read the thread?

Yes! It's a world city - one of the cities that everyone should try to see along with New York, Paris, London and Tokyo

Yea I did but for example I wouldnt want to stay in Paris for more than a few days but a few days wouldn't be enough in NY.

Associate
Hi,

I spent 10 days there at the end of last year. Things to do:-

Tram up Victora peak.
Star ferry around the harbour.
Every evening there is a light show using some of the buildings in Central. THis is best viewed near the Star ferry terminal in Kowloon.
Stanley & Aberdeen are worth a visit.
Mid levels escalator.
I was really impressed with the subway, but I am an engineer!
I was told there was a good restaurant in the IFC1 tower although I did not go.
A walk around central on Sunday is interesting!
You really should visit the horse raceing at Happy Vally.

I think that will do for now!

Jonathan

Associate
Shopping wise:
**** Kok - electrical stuff like digital cameras, mobile phones, MP3 players, etc from Sai Yeung Choi Street South or Fa Yuen Street, also can buy cheap trainers & sporting goods from Fa Yuen Street, Ladies Market street for cheap clothes

Sham Shui Po - Golden Shopping Centre for computer and games console stuff, Ap Lieu Street market has many street stalls that sells electrical gadgets

Temple Street (also know as the night market) near Jordan MTR - lots of things to see and buy from here, worth a haggle or two

Prince Edward - HK's flower market, plus Fa Yeun Street market for cheap clothes and other small items

Remember, in Hong Kong NEVER pay the asking price, ALWAYS haggle !!

Have fun and spend lots :D

Back
Top Bottom