• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Should i bother putting these ram sinks on my 1900xtx?

Soldato
I've got my 1900xtx 'under water' (maze4) at the moment, and i have a set of vantec copper ram sinks in the drawer. Should i bother putting them on? I'm not sure whether i'll be overclocking this card quite yet.

I'm thinking in terms of selling the card on...is it difficult to cleanly remove ram sinks?

Many thanks for your input

Soldato
I wouldn't bother unless you want to squeeze every last Mhz out of the memory.

They're not that hard to take off, as long as you are careful, but I have ripped chips off the PCB because the tape was so strong! :eek:

I have RAMsinks on my X1900XT, but only because:

1) I took them off my old card.

2) I installed them as soon as I got my new card.

3) I wanted to overclock the card as much as possible, including turning the voltage up in ATITool.

I can't tell you whether it's helped or nor...

Soldato
I don't have any on mine ;) Just did'nt bother when i put my swiftech block on. I thought DDR3 runs cool anyway.No problems up to now :D

Rob

Soldato
snow patrol said:
have you overclocked it? :)

Sure have,mine is just a humble XT though,clocked at 680/775 for now,it will go higher,just got it at the begining of the week,so still fiddling yet :D Had to put the block on asap,my ears could'nt take it,don't you just love the peace & quiet of H20 :D

Could'nt believe how much heat the stock heatsink was dumping on the ram :eek: Seemed that way to me at least.

Cheers

Rob

Last edited:
Soldato
snow patrol said:
thanks, btw - how should i overclock this card? ATI tool doesn't seem to work properly with it. And i'm not using CCC (i have the drivers with the normal CP)

Have you:

1) Read the numerous guides?

2) Turned off the ATI Services?

Soldato
OP
Jimbo Mahoney said:
Have you:

1) Read the numerous guides?

2) Turned off the ATI Services?

yeah, i had a look at a couple of the guide for overclocking a radeon, but what's the best program you would recommend for a 1900? Also, is it necessary to run the 2d clocks lower?

Soldato
snow patrol said:
yeah, i had a look at a couple of the guide for overclocking a radeon, but what's the best program you would recommend for a 1900? Also, is it necessary to run the 2d clocks lower?
First off make sure you have the latest beta version 0.25b14. It's the best IMO, rivatuner is another. And you can run at 3d speeds all day if you want. Why would you? its going to use a lot of energy. Maybe you want to keep you room warm? ;)

Soldato
snow patrol said:

I run ATI Tray Tools instead of the CCC for standard quality settings etc, but ATI Tool (latest beta) for clocking and volting.

I just run the card @ 750 / 800 all the time. 790 / 830 for benching.

Associate
i read an article recentely that basically said the heat spreaders, ram sinks, ect. MIGHT give u a 1mhz increase. yes thats 1mhz. the artical later went on to admit these thse things were as useful as gold wheels on a car and served the same purpose. it was all legit and the big companies im pretty sure were the ones that handed this down.

Back
Top Bottom