Windows Vista delayed, quite substantially

Associate
NathanE said:
Looks like this genuinely was a decision made by the Microsoftie marketeers and less so by the engineering departments.

How so?

Inq said:
However, one person, who claimed to work in the Windows department said that Vista simply was not ready to ship.

The delay might be a disappointment, but I'd much prefer it to be late than rushed to market.....

Soldato
EVH said:
As for their "quality first" mindset.. expect it to be patched within a month of release :rolleyes: ;)

AJUK said:
What's the odds on when it is finally released there will be a patch within a week? :p

Have any of you people actually ever worked as software developers?
Of course there will be a patch soon after release.

No matter how much testing you have and no matter how good your developers are there will always be bugs found once the product launches - I guarantee that.
Hell, when we release a new version of our software we plan for having three patches within the first week and this is something that only goes out to a few hundred internal customers.

For something the size of a new version of Windows I say the sooner a patch comes after release date the better.

Associate
NathanE said:
Nah I think it'll definately come in January. They are actually launching it in November but for business customers only. They don't want to release it in the retail markets till the new year so that Christmas sales aren't hurt....
Not true...

If the code is ready in November it will be made available to PC makers, Volume licensing customers (i.e. business) and MSDN etc immeadiatly as all that needs to be done is have the build made available on the volume licensing site for download.

Retail will take longer - any idea how long it takes to cut millions of DVD/CDs, box and ship them round the world?

It's almost impossible to get production space in the CD/DVD cutting plants for a major release at christmas, they are booked and running flat out for H2 producing DVD films, Musics CDs, Games etc for crimbo...

This has nothing to do with "hurting christmas sales"

Soldato
OP
That's the thing though. MSDN subscribers also won't be getting it 'till January. At least that's what I've been told.

Retail will take longer - any idea how long it takes to cut millions of DVD/CDs, box and ship them round the world?
Yes, about 1-2 weeks when you're Microsoft ;) They don't "ship them round the world". They have CD distribution companies on every continent and most countries producing them. And besides, the language translations for other countries usually take a few months to even be RTM'd. So initially they'd just be dealing with an English release.

Last edited:
Associate
Continents yes, countries, no... and it still takes a significant amount of time to press the media, box and ship the product in quantity, especially as I said all the plants/distribution routes are booked/over capacity at that time of year anyway.

There's no way to get code finalised in November out to shops for consumers in any meaning quantity before the new year.

Almost every MS product has a lead time of 6 - 8 weeks between RTM and retail availability.

I would suggest that Vista will be available for download at the MSDN site before christmas but won't appear on in the media kit until Jan for the same reasons...

Soldato
OP
I can't see what you're getting so uppy about? :p

Yes I hope it's on MSDN too. It bloody better be! :mad:

PS: Microsoft has launched major products in November before. I'm just going on what Jim Allchin has said... He said their partners and OEMs didn't want a Novemeber retail launch because it'd hurt their sales during the Christmas period. I'm not a business or market economics guru so I've no idea how true that statement is.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree reckon we will see nothing but Vista ready stickers on graphic cards and all hardware, people are all ready to move to Vista but its up to MS when we do so.

Maybe a conroe/4gig DDR2 and Vista GPU maybe a good buy for Spring 2007 ;)

Soldato
Any of the above could be correct, my take is that vista just isnt good enough and isnt a big enough change. To me it appears very much like xp. MS need to sell loads and they wont without it being significantly better.

The other side is they expect loads of bugs so if they sell it afte xmass not so many people will buy it and hence need fixing.

Also its going to be too late for the oems to sort it in time for xmass and publicity might put a few people off as stated above.

MS have been too good at their job, xp and office 2003 are just too good, where do you go from there, at the moment, vista just looks like a green xp to me and dont give me all that stuff about transparent shiny windows, that could be done with xp.

MS have done some market research that says vista is going to go down like a not very exiting at all thing. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Soldato
Slam62 said:
Any of the above could be correct, my take is that vista just isnt good enough
I dont think anyone can fairly judge that until the gold release is out.

Slam62 said:
and isnt a big enough change.
I'd be interested to know the list of changes you think there are.

Slam62 said:
To me it appears very much like xp.
Aero glass is very much like XP? :/

Back
Top Bottom