Tilt-shift effect.

Associate
I had the same problem, scoop. :) You can also solve it by not swapping black and white when the tutorial tells you to, or by clicking the 'invert' check box on the lens blur filter.

Associate
Not my source image, but here's my attempt.

Paris.jpg

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Orange Peel said:
Can someone explain how it make everything so model like please?
I'm going to make an educated guess here:

So, basically,

we boost the contrast and over-do the sharpness a little to make everything look a bit bolder and a bit chubbier than usual (more model-like),

and then gradually blur out the foreground and background to give the pic a tiny depth of field and therefore fool us into thinking it was taken as a macro shot?

Just about to give it a go, if I can find a good picture...

minihouse.jpg

miniboat.jpg

I found it was easiest to sharpen the image first, then create a duplicate layer and give it a hefty gaussian blur. Then you can either use a layer mask to take out a band of blur from the bit you want in focus, or (like I did) take a *very* large and soft eraser and pick out everything you reckon is in the same focus plane... make sense?

Last edited:
Associate
The tutorial I read (somewhere earlier in the thread) said to use Lens Blur as opposed to Gaussian, I think it works slightly better, looks more depth-of-fieldy.

Associate
mrgubby said:
Anybody know how to simulate lens blur in Adobe Elements 3 ?? or where I can get a (free)plug-in to do it :)

There some info on the main link at flickr if you look ;)

unfortunately the plug in that they talk about doesnt work in version 4 so heres how i did it in that;

Open up your image
Create a copy of the image onto a new layer (new layer need to be above original layer
Add gausian blur of between 5 and 7 to the new layer
create an adjustment layer (solid fill - white in colour) and place this layer below the blurry image
Highlight the blurry layer and press ctrl g to group it to the adjustment layer
Then paint in white (to remove from the blurry image ) or black (to put back what you removed form the blurry image)
Then just remove a small amount from the centre in line with the photos on the image above.

You basically get the same effect. :)

Back
Top Bottom