glad the heat sink worked Ok

water cooled now , :D the sound of silence cpu 36 gfx 39

6 loops of 06 42 cpu gfx 60

now that raptor is making a din never heard it before

well I can say my mb does not have the whine now the fans are quiter
S

Last edited:
Associate
about 1 hour to strip out the pc mb had to come out to fix back plate ,and the gfx card striped down. then about another hour and a half to get it back together,

no problems at all

photos are a problem file sizes are to big ( 8 meg )

Associate
fizzy said:
I raised a call online with Asus, explaining the noise from the board, and the interference on the audio.

Reply was quick, but basically asked me to turn off all options in audio panel other than wave.... ?!?!

Replied back and re-explained that the noise is coming from the board itself. Reply this morning :-

"Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.

My name is ZYC and I would be assisting you today.

Sir, you mean the noise comes from the CPU around circuit ? from those coils and other components ?

i have heard similiar problem on many boards (not a8r32-vmp) ,when system is under loadding ,the CPU VRM part may generate electric noise, when under idle status ,the noise is weak.

seems it is a common issue on many boards, if the noise is not bearable , you can contact board vendor for a replace ."

.....so it would appear that my "new friend" is unlikely to be able o fix this problem, so I guess if it does get "unbearable" I'll have to RMA it. Best to it now I guess to get a new board - as after a few months I've no idea if I will get a new board or refurbished/spare stock one from Asus?

Surprised he states the "(not a8r32-vmp)" bit though as it appears to be a common problem?

Well, I gonna have to RMA it. I was checking a few settings in the bios, slight OC - worked ok. Started tweaking some of the other settings like 32bit disk access - locked up on loading windows. Reversed the changes I had done, put speed back to defaults - still locked up. :(

Reset cmos - loaded ok. Then windows informed me that there has been a large change in the configuration (I guess it found the serial ports etc I had disabled previously in the bios?) and I needed to reactive it - and then it told me I had activated it too many times and need to ring up! :mad:

Booted it up this evening - and it hung loading windows. This is at default too. :( Switch it all off, tried again - loaded up. These is one tempremental board so its going back.

Do I RMA it with OCUK or Asus? Had it less than a week.....

Last edited:
Associate
I guess you could probably describe this board as "has potential". Major issues that have been reported so far have mostly been fixed with a bios update. This was a quick fix so some of the minor issues will hopefully be solved when the next "proper" bios release.

Looks like their QC could do with checking out though - doubt if electrical noise from the board can be fixed with a bios update....? :(

Associate
I ordered this board yesterday along with:
  • Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X 512MB
  • OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Platinum Series EB-DDR CAS3
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) - Retail
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler FSP Sparkle FX600-GLN Epsilon 600W ATX2.0 PSU
and a few other pieces to complete the upgrade. Booted up everything fine and go into BIOS to change time, it locks. Repeat, it locks. This time learn my mistake configure BIOS leaving everything at auto and away I go installing XP. Install driver support, Flash BIOS to latest, Windows Update and XP goes into an endless reboot sequence.

Not getting a good impression of the board so far with locks in BIOS (in the bios goddamit) and also sometimes at boot menu. I cant stop singing 'there may be trouble ahead' for some reason.

Last edited:
Associate
cenobite said:
I ordered this board yesterday along with:
  • Connect3D ATI Radeon X1900 XT-X 512MB
  • OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Platinum Series EB-DDR CAS3
  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (Socket 939) - Retail
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler FSP Sparkle FX600-GLN Epsilon 600W ATX2.0 PSU
and a few other pieces to complete the upgrade. Booted up everything fine and go into BIOS to change time, it locks. Repeat, it locks. This time learn my mistake configure BIOS leaving everything at auto and away I go installing XP. Install driver support, Flash BIOS to latest, Windows Update and XP goes into an endless reboot sequence.

Not getting a good impression of the board so far with locks in BIOS (in the bios goddamit) and also sometimes at boot menu. I cant stop singing 'there may be trouble ahead' for some reason.

read this it may help Clicky

Associate
Cheers for that im hoping I can get it even stable for more than a few minute before i need to ritually burn it out my back garden. In reading through this thread it seems as though a few people can quote links to forum articles off their heads by now ;)

It seems this motherboard was sent down by god to try my patience. Having issues with it not booting, not posting, not detecting my HDD its just a really bad joke.

Unfortunately dont have other types of memory to eliminate but my confidence in this POS is rather low.

Last edited:
Associate
cenobite said:
Cheers for that im hoping I can get it even stable for more than a few minute before i need to ritually burn it out my back garden. In reading through this thread it seems as though a few people can quote links to forum articles off their heads by now ;)

BTW welcome to the forum ( mad house )

maybe but its better to link to the thread as it give the source to credit and there is usualy a lot of info contained therin , rarther than just a snippet

my view would be to put the ram in the blue as per manual, gfx in blue as per, unplug from mains , remove the battery and reset the cmos. replace the link and batt of course

i would not change anything in the bios for a start let it boot ( say with no hdd present ) get in to bios and check the cpu temp , i if its ok at that then shut down connect up the hdd cdromdvd rom ect then install windows

some of these mb are very picky when trying to OC leave the ram timings alone until you can get it going

Raja is the guy for OC ChrisC is having mem problems at the mo ( same ram as mine but his is no go !!

this mb is a eval one one i am testing for a local pc firm , well i have paid a token sum for it now ,but i can just type in the oc no prolems but others have to sneak up on it

when you do get it going they are a good mb but need another bios PDQ the 311 was IMHO a quick and dirty fix , I along with others await the real thing

Soldato
Hi, also, to add to lord edmond's excellent advice, try booting with either memory stick in place. As pointed out, this board can be finicky with memory timings...
ChrisC

Associate
Sorry by changing BIOS stuff i mean making sure boot order was fine :) Not tried a single overclock type change yet as stablity first then try to nudge things up.

Yeh i read the documentation (shock) and did the same process I have done over the years yet this is refusing to play. Its the same story:

Reset bios
plug in stuff
install xp
after a few reboots its broken.

Might be a specific driver thats causing grief. Also followed instructions around about post #346 on install order just to be sure.

Associate
cenobite said:
Sorry by changing BIOS stuff i mean making sure boot order was fine :) Not tried a single overclock type change yet as stablity first then try to nudge things up.

Yeh i read the documentation (shock) and did the same process I have done over the years yet this is refusing to play. Its the same story:

Reset bios
plug in stuff
install xp
after a few reboots its broken.

Might be a specific driver thats causing grief. Also followed instructions around about post #346 on install order just to be sure.
how big is the psu ?

Associate
600W bought from OCUK, other parts were:

FSP Sparkle FX600-GLN Epsilon 600W ATX2.0 PSU
Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS SATA-II 16MB Cache
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)
Western Digital Secure Connect Serial ATA Cable
Logitech G5 Gaming-Grade Laser Mouse
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

I must have anger'd someone as the logitech G5 mouse I bought has just died on me. Tried it on two other systems to no avail. :confused:

Associate
Asus, is lucky that this forum is running - more support is being provided by users here, than anywhere else, including Asus' own forum and from the evidence of it, even their technical help.

Without the discussion, experience and willingness (trust, hope) that the probelms being reported will be fixed, there would have been hundreds more rma's by now.

A few of us are finally in a position, where all things are working for us (myself incuded), others who have seen the enthusiasm of this thread and users elsewhere, have joined the band only to find that their configuration is not entirley compatible with the current bios/board.

At the moment this board favours the inquistive type who cannot sit still by nature, is willing to explore all means of fixing a problem and perhaps prepared to bite the bullet of an rma if needed. The mobo has potential yes, but I will expect to see less interest as offerings from other manufacturers appear, though judging on the experiences here, more caution will be given by reviewers in their assesment. The initial pressure that was applied globally (I think ATI were the force behind the fix - graphics and game issues), is going to be harder to apply by individuals now, so we must wait patiently and hope that Asus are working round the clock.

Associate
e bar gum
Raja that a bit philosophical I know were you are coming from , I too think ATI put a lot of presure on to fix it , to me thats why in my opinon it is a quick and dirty fix , it was to quick for them to has sorted it out they must have known where the problem lay

I do hope the the reviewers have learnt a lesson from this fiasco.

Back
Top Bottom