A8R32-MVP what is it

Associate
lordedmond said:
e bar gum
Raja that a bit philosophical

That statement reminds me fo the 2 Ronnies farmer sketch.

FWIW, I don't like the ticket system at ATI either, I submitted a ticket 4 days ago.

Last weekend I wanted to use this pc to watch a film on my rear projection tv. So I thought I'd use the VIVO function of my 1900xtx using the svhs connection, unfortunatley I could not get it to work.

My tv can accept both NTSC and PAL signals, and using my other pc with a lowly nvidia 6200 for video on this tv via svhs works fine.

I disabled crossfire, still would not work, I also tried making the xtx the priority card over the crossfire card in bios, still no picture. I tried forcing tv detection in CCC, no luck.

As yet I have had no response from ATI at all, has anybody else who is using crossfire tried outputting a picture to a tv? (CATALYST 6.3)

Associate
Yeah i have to admit when i think back to that anandtech review , well what a load of complete and utter garbage that turned out to be , i used to think they were a reliable source ,i am still waiting for another R580 board to appear before taking the plunge, but still tracking your progress ;)

Last edited:
Associate
andyr said:
Yeah i have to admit when i think back to that anandtech review , well what a load of complete and utter garbage that turned out to be , i used to think they were a reliable source ,i am still waiting for another R580 board to appear before taking the plunge, but still tracking you progress ;)

makes me wonder if money changes hands , good review plenty of mb sold, bean counters happy DH was the only one who had the guts to hold back and tell the truth ( and to seek a answer for the problems )

my gues is they review by running a time demo not the game , same goes for 3dmark 06

Associate
Hi Andy,

I think Anadtech were unfortunate, they were not able to test the board with every conceivable CPU and configuration, remember release dates were very close to review samples going out, some reviews needed to be up by the time of the release. As private users we can not be sure how companies liase with one another over product reviews, there may be agreements to release reviews by certain dates- this can be unfortunate.......

I had to cut the reviewers some slack when I saw that some private users had no issues at that point either. Anandtech's Gary Web was very instrumental in helping obtain the 311 bios fix, no one else provided me with as much email concern, I know I can still conatct Gary at any time, he always replies and is helpful, AFAIK Gary has not yet stopped working with this board, I'm sure he will send me an update soon as he can regarding some of the newer issues that people are facing and his own experiences

Regards
Raja

Associate
ok an update on where I am. I was getting into an endless reboot cycle so I re-installed XP, ghosted partition, installed one driver checked it was stable. Then repeated and have tracked it down. . .

The first windows update i do (windows installer 3.1 and some other stuff) that pulls down 3 things is fine.

The big 37 piece windows update causes the endless reboot. . . weird eh?

and mouse works again *spooky*

Last edited:
Associate
I wanted this board to be really awesome but anandtech were so far off the mark it is untrue and although this a8r-mvp is lacking in bits and bobs it is currently stable at 300 times 9 which is more than i could imagine you guys are getting , correct me if im wrong . Athough the ht link speed is only able to achieve 400 at this my scores are higher with this board than the deluxe and that is the joke to my mind . sorry to go on :D
but im still itching to buy something else , but they cant make it :(

Last edited:
Associate
Yep, you are right the old a8r is a better overclocker for opterons, though I find the a8r32 better for overclocking my dual core 4800, only because I don't require a htt higher than 250. With the a8r-mvp, there just was not enough voltage available for dual cores - 1.41v only!

PS I have seen at least a couple of people who claim to be stable in games with 0211 just like Anadtech were........................

I have a keen interest in the DFI board, once it arrives.............

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

been keeping a close eye on this thread and i ordered one... mad fool that i am. Anyway, arrived today from OCUK and it has bios 311 already installed.

No strange sounds. installed XP pro 32 bit, XP pro 64 Bit and Server 2003 32 bit and so far all goes well.

Not tried overclocking yet and not run any games yet.

X24400 2GB Gskil HZ X1900 Crossfire Connect3D for info

Associate
raja said:
Yep, you are right the old a8r is a better overclocker for opterons, though I find the a8r32 better for overclocking my dual core 4800, only because I don't require a htt higher than 250. With the a8r-mvp, there just was not enough voltage available for dual cores - 1.41v only!

PS I have seen at least a couple of people who claim to be stable in games with 0211 just like Anadtech were........................

I have a keen interest in the DFI board, once it arrives.............

Hi Raja , glad things are better for you with this mobo now , i am thinking that the problem may be with the chipset alone as both dfi and abit have not released when they said they would .but i probably wouldnt of rma'd if i had got the new bios just hobbled along a bit i recon . but it looked so much like a hardware thing at the time. i think mobo manufacturers should give us the samples so we could do an eval on them first , save them thousands i think :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well the squeeling noise happens at stock too.. so if you get one of those lucky boards then :( but it sounds like the new ones are ok?

Soldato
andyr said:
i am thinking that the problem may be with the chipset alone as both dfi and abit have not released when they said they would .

I think there is a shortage of the Uli Southbridge , which may be account for the delay

Associate
I am finding that if I try to do a mass windows update it goes into constantly rebooting but one at a time its fine. sigh this is frustrating (everything at auto settings too).

XP seems stable its just the mass windows update anyone any ideas or where to start. I did the steps exactly as detailed for installing xp/drivers too.

Last edited:
Associate
Coolasmoo said:
I think there is a shortage of the Uli Southbridge , which may be account for the delay
ok , thanks for that cool , sorry for getting on my soap box regarding all of this but i guess im getting a bit frustrated with it all as i think ati are doing there development in the field and they shouldnt be charging the money they are for there own lack of development , but thats the way i suppose and wanting to be at the cutting edge doesnt always pay

Suspended
cenobite said:
I am finding that if I try to do a mass windows update it goes into constantly rebooting but one at a time its fine. sigh this is frustrating (everything at auto settings too).

XP seems stable its just the mass windows update anyone any ideas or where to start. I did the steps exactly as detailed for installing xp/drivers too.

No problem with my install. XP SP2 slipstream. Login, update the first time round then reboot, then another 35 or so updates.

Associate
Is it just me, or do the alternative "not quite out yet" 580/crossfire boards seem to be leaving off the parallel and serial ports? Pics of the DFI and Abit boards seem to have them missing anyway, whereas the Asus one has them..

...not that I use them at all, and usually disable them in the bios - but perhaps some of the issues with the board could be due too much resource sharing , possibly even when "disabled" in the bios?

Just a thought. Like the layout of the DFI though. :D

....although on 2nd thoughts it has a noisy looking little fan on the northbridge, which is right in the space where most large gfx card heatsinks would be so tricky to get a passive cooler in there? :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
Coolasmoo said:

Apparently DFI have enough of the Southbridge chips in stock to go ahead with production (the same goes for other manufacturers), which suggests the reason for delay lies elsewhere................

Soldato
Hi cenobite, were there any hardware updates in the windows update you performed. I have 18 XP boxes at my school that have USB mice, if I update to the USB driver on windows udate I can guarantee they'll all bluescreen upon reboot...
ChrisC

Last edited:
Associate
Now the chancellor has axed the Home Computer Initiative I only have 10 days left to order my computer parts. I was waiting for the DFI board but it looks as though I am going to run out of time. As much as I like the idea of Xfire I think there are just too many problems to sort out at the moment...
Looks like its going to be SLI then :D
Phil

Soldato
Reading around various forums, its amazing just how many people have the noise coming around the CPU socket and memory squeeling.

They must have sent out a large number of the initial batch faulty.

Doesnt give you much faith in there QC department.

I myself would definatly think twice about purchasing another Asus motherboard.

Im running quite stable and error free at the moment, but i still believe im not getting all that could be had from this motherboard, I am keeping an eye out for the abit/sapphire release to see how well they perform when they come to retail.

Back
Top Bottom