kerbed me alloy!

Associate
feel like a right ****! went to park on a busy street, and .....CCCRRRUUUNNNCCCHHHH
censor.gif

not dented at least but substantially scratched, too dark for pics but will tomorrow, what can i do? do halfrauds do some kind of alloy repair kit? or will it have to be a refurb? how much do these cost? its only the one alloy (front offside)

guess i just need to be more careful :(

Don
depends how bad it is , as for an alloy repair kit why bother

rub down with wet and dry
polish with autosol and the spray lacquer

you'll be surprised how easy it is and how good the results are ( on minor damage )

if a refurb is needed it isn't expensive , about £50-60

Soldato
Never mind mate, unfortunately its just one of those things that is bound to happen eventually :(

I was lucky and managed to buy some pre-kerbed alloys off the bay. So when I do bang them I can convince myself that perticular scrape was already there :D

Associate
It's a gutter!! I managed to kerb a back alloy turning into a side road which I've never done before and probably could never do again. Just typical that the first time had to be on a brand new car I'd only had a couple of weeks. Would like to get it reconditioned but the outer rim of the wheel isn't painted so not sure that it can be done :(

Soldato
Rotty said:
depends how bad it is , as for an alloy repair kit why bother

you'll be surprised how easy it is and how good the results are ( on minor damage )

if a refurb is needed it isn't expensive , about £50-60

Do you have to take the tyres off at all to do that?

SamuraiTortoise

S

SamuraiTortoise

What spray lacquer do you use? I want to try and repair a few little scrapes I have on my alloys but am unsure of the right product to buy.

Don
Stavros said:
What spray lacquer do you use? I want to try and repair a few little scrapes I have on my alloys but am unsure of the right product to buy.

stuff from halfords , shake can really well and test on something before as lacquer can be quite sticky and clog up

can't use this on the M3 wheels because of the finish but have done others in the past

Soldato
Phantom said:
do your wing mirrors point down towards your rear wheels?

(hurrah for electric wing mirrors! \o/ )

Yep, as viewing the kerb as you drive down a street is more important then viewing actual traffic or a bike that you have just passed.. after all, when we slow down, the bike wont come down the side of the car, so best to keep an eye on the kerb that might damage your alloy rims...

Associate
/\
Think he means with regard to when parking rather than just driving along...

I'm absolutely awesome at kerbing my wheels!
I honestly reckon that maybe only 2 or 3 wheels out of 4 car's have escaped my skills! :) / :(

Associate
saitrix said:
Here is my worse alloy (No i didn't kerb it :p). Would i be correct in saying i wont really be able to repair the rim scratch?

If you could get the bead broken and access to a DA sander then yes easily, not as easy without the bead broken but still possible. :) A staturday mornings overtime would partially involve around 50 alloys being refurbished :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just wait, I curbed an expensive wheel its about 3" long and is depressing everytime I look at it :(

Im a let it build up (lol:S) then get it done, costs me around £30-35 a wheel and the guy makes it look brand new.

Associate
OP
Rotty said:

would you be able to elaborate a bit more? what sort of grit? sand it wet or dry?

as you can tell i have no knowledge on how to even remotely do this, perhaps a mini guide to repairing scratched alloys? :)

Back
Top Bottom