Yamaha YZF-R6 - Micron Beta can gains?

jmp

jmp

Associate
Does anyone know what the bhp gain, if any, i'm likely to have on my standard engined YZF-R6 2002 with a Micron Beta race end can?

Note: If for some reason you have a dislike to either, Yamaha, R6's or Micron products please voice your opinion elsewhere. No one appreciates negative comments in order to boost post ratings/counts.

Man of Honour
A typical good quality end can *can* free up to around 5bhp believe it or not. It certainly does increase the torque at mid revs. A full system can free up quite a bit more. When I did it on my last bike, I just had to adjust the carbs a little and that was that. Plus it sounded sweet ;)

Pug

Pug

Soldato
Freefaller said:
Plus it sounded sweet ;)

for me bike cans are all about the noise ;) any gains are beneficial and are probably due to you "expecting" them and imagining them more than actual realworld. I have heard they help most in the midrange tho...

Man of Honour
I agree it's mainly about the sound and the looks. But hey, if you can get a bit more rideability (torque/power) out of it as a side effect, so much the better :D

As for "feeling" it, well it certainly does help sort out any flat spots, but as for feeling "quicker" or more oompf - I doubt it. It's not like turning nitrous on and off :p

Associate
You always find that smaller motorcycles are really crippled by EU restrictions at certain revs. It's only really at these revs that you can find extra power, usually by rejetting or using an FI mapping tool. Outside of these areas you will only find gains by significantly increasing the mixture flow through the motor, and manufacturers are very clever at finding those limits while meeting noise regs. Indeed in the last few years manufacturers have been creatively using the backpressure caused by a restrictive, road-legal exhaust systems to provide a torque boost across the midrange, but at the same time using the resonant frequency of the system to keep peak power with the competition. The net result is- you plonk a can on and lose all that careful tuning. As Desmo rightly says, the only way to really make big gains on the most modern 600s is a full system,, rejet/remap, and some quality time on the dyno to set it all up.

Remember the manufacturers are competing, and the 600 class is the most closely fought product area. They all spend millions developing the motor which makes the most power, but retains usable torque while still meeting emissions and noise regs. They really are getting very good at it, and the days of sticking a £150 can and rejet kit on your 600 and getting 10bhp right across the rev range are well and truly over, unfortunately.

I'd recommend the Quill T3 cans to those of you that want a decent soundtrack (but legal at the EU testing revs), but don't want to fiddle with jetting and FI, and risk cocking up the delicate power balance that the manufacturers have built into the bike.

Last edited:
Associate
Only real way to see what gains you get are to get it on a dyno and have the carbs set up with the can.
Seen a set of Art cans on a Firstorm give it a 10 or more BHP increase, graph looked nice and fat in the mid range.
Same time seen a set of Carbon Can Co. cans strangle a storm producing a graph that looked like a cross section of the Alps, more peaks and troughs than straight line.
I had some cans on my storm which after fitting the bike felt better in the mid range but lost out at top end. They were 2bhp down on standard cans.
Big twins love open cans though.
Only way to make real gains, is as said, by a full system.
Mates Gixxer 1000 puts out 159bhp, thats with a full Ti Akropovic system, PCM and about £200 of dyno time(he bought the bike after all this was done :) )

Also, what are the police like with regards to noisy cans down your way?

Robb

jmp

jmp

Associate
OP
Firestar_3x said:
Quick question.....

Suppose someone had an objection to Micron products but had a better idea that would give you some performance gains, would this contravene "Your" non open discussion forum rules?

My post was quite direct and specified a particular micron can. had i said 'any race end can or system' then i would have encouraged open discussion. there is no point asking a question about micron and then get 10 responses about other manufacturers because it has no relevance and is of no use to anyone. if you have a burning need to 'discuss' rather than ask a straight 'question'...please do so on another thread.

Caporegime
Fair enough, just i have a friend with a R6 and he is pleased with his can he proclaims it did improve the mid range power, i just thought the info might be of some use if you wanted to compare others or perhaps consider them since you haven't said you have purchased anything yet.

Just trying to be helpful you will oftern find stating things will just get peoples backups up especially if your a new member.

Mark

Soldato
mrgubby said:
I've got a CarbonCan co can (is that a dance ) on my '99 spec R6 . 'Feels' crisper at the top of the rev range but 'feels' like it has lost some mid-range. I should really get round to dynojeting it :)

yup before you blow a piston as it will be lean as hell in the midrange

:D

Soldato
A lot of it is dependant on the model of bike tbh.

And in quite a lot of cases, another advantage of replacing a stock can with an aftermarket one is the weight saving.

The stock can on my bike is a helluva size and weight. When I was running a Wolf stainless race can on it a while ago, I was seriously amazed at the difference in weight. :eek:

The Wolf, in conjunction with an Evo race airkit and a PC3 certainly boosted power by @15 bhp. It felt like it had a lot more midrange grunt. Was too noisy for the neighbours though, so it had to come off and be sold on fleabay.

A lot of folk who dont ride superbikes would possibly not appreciate how a weight saving of a stock can replacement can help with the handling of a bike.

When I eventually put the stock "dustbin" can back on my Mille, the first thing I noticed about the way the bike rode was not any downturn in engine performance, but the handling felt a bit less potent.

Sticking a race can on a bike on its own definately helps with performance for the above reasons, but to get the best out of it, its like any other vehicle, add an airfilter/airbox kit, a Power Commander and get it dyno'd with someone who knows what they are doing and you will seriously feel the gains. ;)

Freefaller said:
Bar Akrapovic which I know are the canine's gonads.. what other end can manufacturers would be worth taking a look at? Typically for a V4

Speak to Jorge at Renegade.

His stuff is fantastic and he's a true enthusiast that will bend over backwards for his customers:-

http://www.renegade-products.com/renegade/index.html

Associate
Freefaller said:
Bar Akrapovic which I know are the canine's gonads.. what other end can manufacturers would be worth taking a look at? Typically for a V4

Moriwaki do some nice stuff, the Zero's are stunning.
Heard a lot of good comments about Remus cans as well.

Robb

Soldato
without a dynojet kit fitted you will be hard pressed to get much of a gain with modern bikes as the manufacturers are very good at making exhausts these days.
i fitted a full SS micron race system(cost me £620) to my CBR600 with a dynojet kit/K&N and a ignition advancer, after it felt like a totally different bike(more power from tick over to the red line and boy does it sound nice :D

Back
Top Bottom