Big favour required - Dell server owners/admins

Soldato
This is computer related, however it also isn't so this forum seemed the best to post this plea.
Admins feel free to move it if you do feel it is better off in a different forum.

I am seeking the help of Dell server owners or people who use Dell servers at work.
I am urgently seeking a key for a Dell server as we've managed to lose ours.
The server in question is a rather old PowerEdge 4400 and the locks are labelled DL00.
This particular server has two locks, one on the front and one on the rear.
The rear lock locks a trap-door on the top of the server that allows you amongst other things access to the RAM.
The lock on the front allows access to the HD's.

We've got a failed disk in our RAID array and the desperate need to upgrade the memory on this server from 512MB to 2GB (It is an Exchange Server) however can sort neither issue out without a key!

After reading around a bit I've been told that the DL00 key design is nothng special, just old and appeared on numerous servers around at the same time.
So just because you don't have a PowerEdge 4400 doesn't mean you haven't got a server using a DL00 key.
What I need to do is either borrow a key from somebody, have a spare one sent (as all the servers were supplied with two) or I'll even buy one if so desired (please delete that bit if I'm not allowed to offer to buy outside the market).

If you have access to such a key and maybe able to help me out - along the lines of being able to get something posted out to me today so I could have my hands on it by Monday at the latest please get in touch, either in this thread, through a PM or via e-mail.
If somebody has a spare I can have, great.
If somebody is just willing to loan me one I can promise a fast return once I've unlocked both locks (the server is due for replacement later in the year, so can remain unlocked).

Thanks.

Soldato
When we lost the key to one of our Dell servers (think it was a 2600), we just opened the lock with a screwdriver :p

The lock is really poor quality - just put a screwdiver blade part of the way in the lock and twist - you may well be able to open it like we did.

Soldato
OP
I did actually try a screwdriver and didn't get very far.
I've used that method before on a Dell server and indeed managed to get in without too much hassle.
This lock however just feels that little more solid - but if I cannot source a key elsewhere then I'll have to go back to that method.

Am going to call Dell in the morning, however as it is now an outside of warranty server I'm not sure how far I'm going to get without having to raise a repair that costs - don't particularly want to spend some of the company's cash on things if I don't need to :)

Soldato
OP
Thank you all for either checking or giving us some options.
We've been down again armed with a screwdriver - we're just fearful we'll break the lock in the "locked" position and then even a replacement key won't get us in.

Thank you kindly to Von Luck - We've been in contact and he's posting me out a couple of keys today which hopefully we'll get beginning of next week and then be able to get in.

Ta

Back
Top Bottom