MS should force devlopers to include Southpaw options in games that require it.

Permabanned
I made a similar post on the official xbox forums, and all I got was a bunch of repsonses from presumably right handed 13 year olds who disagreed with me.

MS should set regulations so that both left handed and right handed controls can be used with games such as GRAW.

Its such an easy thing to implement in, and also so important, and I still don't know why developers overlook it. Timesplitters has had southpaw controls for the last 6 years...

Associate
I used to have this problem too but eventually gave up and re-trained myself to be able to play the "normal" way. This wasn't easy but it has taken a lot of worry out of buying games and wondering if they have configurable controls or not.

I know I shouldn't have had to do this but sometimes, after banging head against wall repeatedly, if you can't beat 'em etc etc.....

Soldato
pardon my ignorance but surely it cant be that different? Ure hands are sat on the controller and im sure co-ordination is pretty much the same?

Soldato
Is it that difficult to adapt?

I ask, because i'm left handed, but i have a strange history with game controls.

On the spectrum (yes, all those years ago), i used to play the keys ZX (left, right) PL (up, down) and 'enter' as fire. These days, i can't play with those keys. I have to use QA OP. No idea why.

On a C64/Amiga joystick, i hold the stick in my right hand, and fire with my left, but on an arcade machine, i hold the stick in my left hand and fire with my right.

Now, onto more recent things. I first started playing first person shooters on consoles with the xbox 360. At first, i used to have an inverted Y axis on the aiming stick. I finished Perfect Dark Zero that way. Then i made a concious decision to use the non-inverted controls, because i thought it would improve my aiming. It took me a couple of days to get used to it, but it had the desired effect.

I might have a go at using the southpaw controls myself, see how i do. That way i can have an insight into what it's like for you guys.

As for MS requiring southpaw options, then i think they definitely should enforce it. As you say, the fix would be so tiny, there should be no reason not to.

Permabanned
OP
R5Rich said:
pardon my ignorance but surely it cant be that different? Ure hands are sat on the controller and im sure co-ordination is pretty much the same?

Try playing using different controls to what you normally use, then come back and tell me its easy.

Soldato
Unconditional said:
Try playing using different controls to what you normally use, then come back and tell me its easy.

well of course it wont be easy as its not what i normally use, but by consoles all using the same controls surely its not difficult for people to pick it up? Surely in the long run its harder cos if not all games use southpaw and some do ull never learn the other way??

Associate
R5Rich said:
well of course it wont be easy as its not what i normally use, but by consoles all using the same controls surely its not difficult for people to pick it up? Surely in the long run its harder cos if not all games use southpaw and some do ull never learn the other way??

But left handers have more precision over there left hand which will be better for aiming with and he is stuck with using his left hand for walking about.

Surely you can understand this? No matter how much training or use it will come naturally to him to use his left hand.

If it was such an easy thing to overcome there would be no left handers. Everyone would be forced to be right handed but it hasn't happened.

Soldato
yes i understand this but its also not an option in many games and hasnt for years so surely left handers will just grasp it in the end? As said some 1 in here has got use too it.

Permabanned
OP
R5Rich said:
yes i understand this but its also not an option in many games and hasnt for years so surely left handers will just grasp it in the end? As said some 1 in here has got use too it.

Southpaw isn't just for left handers. I am right handed and use the southpaw controls.

The point is, if it is so easy to implement, and it affects a fair amount of people, why not put it in?

And lots of games do, ie timesplitters, quake 4 etc.

Soldato
it would seem quite easy to implement it, but I guess its a case of not being requested that much, so they just don't bother.

personally i'm a leftie and I can use the mouse as well with my left and right hands, and so i'm fine with the 'rightie' setup on consoles.

Soldato
I 100% agree. I'm right handed, but I like Southpaw buttons. I find it much easier to aim with my right thumb and hit the trigger with my left index. On normal settings I often find that my rapid trigger pressing disrupts an otherwise smooth aim (since the index and thumb are so closely connected.)
The only game that i've seen implement both stick and button alterations is Halo.

It's just a tiny thing to include, but it totally changes the way I play.

Soldato
i play console games normal settings but im left handed,

yet i play PC FPS with my right hand (mouse aiming)

Im used to the way it is, and what im thinking is i would never use southpaw as i never knew it existed, so at some point you chose to use southpaw, so surely you must have coped on normal controls?

ive just read that back (my post) and it makes no sense at all

Soldato
other thing is tho every 1 has to learn with pads, i mean FPS are hard with a pad at first. So we all kinda start in the same boat, if every 1 uses the same ull know no different?

Back
Top Bottom