Noob MOT question

Soldato
Basically, my MOT is up in may, but i'd like to take my car for an MOT this afternoon (basically so that i can get the work done sooner, as im quite sure it'll fail).
But, once i have had it tested, does the MOT still run out in may, or does it become void upon failure?. Hmm.

Soldato
Legaly, yes.Now that they are computerised the failure is notified to the DVLA(though it may well take them some time to act), in the old days I knew people who would rip up the fail sheet and get the work done later.

Soldato
OP
Ooh, just got off the blower to the MOT station/garage, decided to send it in for a look over (none MOT) and the guy said that the existing MOT does not become void if the car fails, the MOT stands regardless. Seems a bit silly, but he recons that's the way.

Soldato
benneh said:
Ooh, just got off the blower to the MOT station/garage, decided to send it in for a look over (none MOT) and the guy said that the existing MOT does not become void if the car fails, the MOT stands regardless. Seems a bit silly, but he recons that's the way.

I hope that's true, because that's exactly how the old system used to work.

The reason you could get it MOT'd up to 30 days in advance is that if it failed, you had up to 30 days to get the required work done, whilst still having a valid MOT certificate.

Would have thought it would have cancelled the old certificate as it would not be roadworthy if it failed.
What implication would there be if you had an accident and killed/maimed someone and also insurance implications? :confused:

Soldato
I think that under the old system you could take a car for an MOT but if it failed it was just a case of the DVLA wouldn't be notified. So I guess if it failed and you couldn't get the work done in time you wouldn't have a valid MOT because the MOT certificate is valid until a specified date?

To me it'd make more sense to get the MOT done a bit earler (say a week) which would allow any work to be done. Assuming its not serious.

Soldato
benneh said:

does he mean if he does this 'pre MOT check' and it fails ,then yes you can still drive? as he has not put it through the computerised system witch issues the MOT.
If he does a 'real' MOT then you end up with an unroadworthy car and can only drive it to a pre booked gararge for MOT work to be done on it

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
A mechanical failure leading to a fatality, esp on an older car is almost always the owners fault, regardless of MOT. The MOT is there to ensure these problems are fixed. The problem is not everyone is mechanically savvy and not everyone has the time to give up their car when the garage can take it etc, people have lives to get on with. If you at least have a failure notice to prove the car went for its MOT before the current one was up, you can't call irresponsiblity.

What if there was mechanical failure on the car the day before the MOT was up and you killed someone? Would you be happy becasue your MOT is in date? Would you claim it wasn't your fault? What if your car failed its mot and it indecated brake failure, and you crashed becasue of a suspension failure?

It's an odd system, that's for sure. The new electronic system is there to link up to the tax and insurance systems so the DVLA know who the people are without tax, MOT and insurance etc, keeping the roads safer than aspect as its now very difficult to dodge tax and an MOT.

Soldato
OP
Bill101 said:
does he mean if he does this 'pre MOT check' and it fails ,then yes you can still drive? as he has not put it through the computerised system witch issues the MOT.
If he does a 'real' MOT then you end up with an unroadworthy car and can only drive it to a pre booked gararge for MOT work to be done on it

It means that (according to the MOT guy) if it fails today, and i'm almost certain that it will. The MOT i have which runs untill may is definately still valid, and will run out, as was originally intended, in may. Seems silly to me, but i'm asured that that's the legal standing.

As for the what if you crashed etc and had to claim on the insurance. The MOT is seen as fully legal, and above board etc.

Soldato
OP
She failed on:

Number plate bulb,
2 tyres low tread
locking device missing from lower balljoint front suspension
offside front track rod end steering locking device missing

And an advisory for another tyre. All in all not bad at all, i was expecting far worse. Still needs a new clutch (or gearbox, wont know untill next week), but it'll have 12 months MOT on it :/.

Associate
benneh said:
She failed on:

Number plate bulb,
2 tyres low tread
locking device missing from lower balljoint front suspension
offside front track rod end steering locking device missing

And an advisory for another tyre. All in all not bad at all, i was expecting far worse. Still needs a new clutch (or gearbox, wont know untill next week), but it'll have 12 months MOT on it :/.
We do a fair few pre mot checks at work. We do not issue MOT's but give pre-mot checks as we know what is involved. Nothing drastic there :). Number plate bulb and tyres are simple to do, never heard of a "locking device" on a track rod end or a balljoint - unless he means the nut is missing! Could also mean the split pin that goes through the castlated (sp?) nut, or sometimes they have a little round plate type thing that goes over the nut and is then held in place with a split pin. :D

Soldato
failed my mot last week on no osr braking due to a leaking wheel cylinder , luckely this is covered by my independent warranty so the chap said bring it back tommorow and we will do the work and pass it.
must admit i was expecting more expense with the new system but it was still £35 plus free retest plus he printed me out two mots (one to send off with my warranty claim)
at the end of the day i hate mots but if you go to a good garage that dosnt rip you off they only tell you things you should know about the safety of your car.
but anyway i was told the same that my mot was still valid till it ran out

Back
Top Bottom