• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PCI Gf2 MX400

Associate
Have one of these, XFX 64Mb Version, to put in a Media Centre. If I'm not going to use 3D at all do you think it would be safe to disconnect the fan? The case has very little airflow.

Thanks

Caporegime
my plastic read me box of a pc has a MX400, it think its by bfg, but im not sure cause there isnt any stickers onit with the manu name onit. mine has a passive heat sink which is hurrendously small (i think it might be plastic aswell), i wouldnt be suprised if i found out that i did nothing and it was just there for show.

If urs has a fan onit i suggest keep the fan on, unless u where planning to buy a card for ** Media Centre take it off and see what happens.

Associate
Azza said:
my plastic **** box of a pc has a MX400, it think its by bfg, but im not sure cause there isnt any stickers onit with the manu name onit. mine has a passive heat sink which is hurrendously small (i think it might be plastic aswell), i wouldnt be suprised if i found out that i did nothing and it was just there for show.

If urs has a fan onit i suggest keep the fan on, unless u where planning to buy a card for ** Media Centre take it off and see what happens.

Better edit out that sweary mate. :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Sorry, a little unclear -fan is knackered. Gonna try it anyway, just wondering what you thought. Im guessing it will be OK until the summer...

Permabanned
Maybe put some passive cooling on it, Just get an old small heatsync and some thermal compund that dries hard and jobs a goodun.

I remember my old MX440 only had a rubbish fan, I bet it would be fine with a small heatsync on, a heatsync is a LOT better than just nothing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom