• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i snapped a capacitor off my x850xt...

Soldato
yesterday while fumbling around inside my case, i managed to snap off a capacitor on my x850xt. It's on the front of the card in the top left corner. i tried booting the pc without it, and also with it taped on...the pc boots, the bios etc shows fine, even the windows xp sliding loading page, but the screen goes black after that (i still hear the hard drive thrashing so i know it's loading).

I was just about to sell the card but obviously won't be now. Is there any way i can get it to work though, as it's coincided with me having to RMA my x1900xtx as well, so i'm stuck here with oblivion coming tomorrow and a 32meg PCI card running :(

any ideas or is it fubar?

Permabanned
If it's an electrolytic capacitor make sure to attach it the right way round or it could explode.

Most tapes are not conductive so that wouldn't have worked if you used normal tape. You can buy conductive tape which should work fine but soldering it on would be the best thing to do.

Soldato
Best to use a 1mm element, and smaller gauge solder. All available from high street electronic component stores/online. I fixed a epox 8RDA+ by buying a new VDD chip, was ultra tricky to solder due to the size but it worked in the end. Repaired a Abit KR7A-133 with a conductive pen.

May be worth buying a couple of extra capacitors, for the longer lead, and shrink wrap to stop it shorting.

U need to heat the wire up and then add solder for a clean joint (obviously use the minimum required heat which is easier with a 1mm element).

Permabanned
if its the ones by the back plate, dont worry too much, my friend snapped one of his X850 PCB, i just used a normal soldering iron and soldered it back on. scorched the board abit but it works fine.

Back
Top Bottom