When to buy?

Caporegime
Im planning on building a new pc, just for gaming, problem is im not sure when i should get it. My b-day is in july and AM2 should be out around then, so should i get AM2, or get a 939 system now? how long a life do u rekon 939 has once AM2 is released?

Man of Honour
How often do you upgrade your PC and how much money do you intend to spend on it? AM2 may well take a while to mature so early adopters might suffer from initial problems that will later be sorted out.

There are quite a few permutations of what will happen here but I'd hazard a guess that socket 939 will continue to exist for quite a while although no CPUs much faster than the FX 60(ish) will be released for it. Socket AM2 uses DDR2 though which seems to be a little more expensive yet not much better than good quality DDR and doesn't have such tight timings.

It is entirely up to you but I don't see a massive benefit in AM2 unless you are likely to upgrade your CPU again within the next couple of years.

Caporegime
OP
ive been planning on spending Around £1400 on a new pc, and only upgrade when i need to really.

Also will the new AM2 processors be more overclockable then the 939 ones?

Associate
Azza said:
Also will the new AM2 processors be more overclockable then the 939 ones?

Impossible to say as nobody has one yet, but I suspect they will clock as good as the current 939s.

The only thing worth waiting for is Conroe, but that's about it. AM2 isn't a drastic change other than DDR2 support.

Of course, you can't keep waiting forever otherwise you'll never buy anything. :)

Caporegime
OP
thats true about never buying anything.

Well about Conroe, ive been reading CPC and they where talking about Conroe and the benchmarks against that overclocked FX60, and its says in there that Intel shouldnt be written off and that AM2 may have to be something special to match the final Conroe. But they have some quote by some berke from AMD saying that those scores that the Conroe got where weak, and the new AMD processors will easily beat them.

I will wait but i decide on Intel or Amd nearer the time, anyways the longer i wait the more money i have to spend :) :)

Back
Top Bottom