Grrrrrrrrrr - damn houseflies/midges! How to get rid of them?

Permabanned
Every year, from spring to autumn, I suffer with midges/houseflies in the house. Not sure which they are. :confused:

They don't actually go for me, just fly around bright light - ie: my monitor. :mad:

Anyway, is there an easy way to get rid of these buggers? They seem to be all over the house.

I'm wondering if any of my plants are attracting them, but like hell am I going to throw them all away. I don't mind throwing one away, but I'll be most unchuffed if I have to throw any more away.

I suppose I better list my plants - or what I think they are:
  • Lilly - just leaves, ATM
  • Ivy
  • Some massive houseplant that was in when we moved in - not sure what it is, but I can take pictures if need-be
  • 2x cactus in a big pot
  • Venus flytraps (which I will begrudge getting rid of :eek:)
So...what do you think?

Permabanned
I suffer with midges/houseflies in the house. Not sure which they are.

You would know if it was midges , You would be being eaten alive ;)

Try changing the soil in your plant's and repotting them .

Thay lay eggs in the soil and a little bit of heat and sunlight BOOM thay are allover the place .

It also helps to have an insect-repellant available. Most common are a range of different brands containing varying concentrations of a chemical called DEET (di-ethyl toluamide). Another chemical commonly used is DMP (dimethyl phthalate). A range of more natural (but usually less effective) alternatives are available including citronella and eucalyptus oils. Some also swear by the midge-repellant effects of Avon's Skin So Soft Body Oil, available as a spray. And you will also find netting midge hoods on sale in many outlets across the Highlands and Islands.

Sorce

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/midges/

Don't kill them ...Its bad Karma ;)

Permabanned
OP
maddad68 said:
You would know if it was midges , You would be being eaten alive ;)

Try changing the soil in your plant's and repotting them .

Thay lay eggs in the soil and a little bit of heat and sunlight BOOM thay are allover the place .

Sorce

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/midges/

Don't kill them ...Its bad Karma ;)
Any types of soil which flies aren't attracted to? Worth considering, since I haven't changed all but one of the plants soil for a while. :o

They're really tiny things, maybe a couple mm in size - I'll try to take a picture of the next crushed one. ;)

Permabanned
OP
Liverpool-Lad said:
How are the flytraps on a side note?
I'm not sure if the bulb has split or not. I'm getting two flower stalks growing (yes, two!) from one plant - so I'm not too sure if it's split or not.

Last year it flowered, produced some eighteen seeds - right now a few more of these seeds are in the fridge. But I have three shooting in my home-made mini greenhouse.

Setup.jpg

The setup

Seed.jpg

One of the shoots (about 2-3mm tall) with a seed on top

Permabanned
Any types of soil which flies aren't attracted to? Worth considering, since I haven't changed all but one of the plants soil for a while.

To be honest all soil is sweet stuff to flys and bugs , But maybe the soil from one of your plants was infested . Just try new soil and make sure you clean the pot's befor you refill them .

Allso worth doing is putting a 1.5" layer of sand on top of the soil and make sure it covers the whole of the top of the soil to form a seal , Then to water the plant's sick a straw in the sand and into the soil and funnle water past the seal .

Sounds like a lot of work but it will take a few minz and it will stop the flys ;)

Back
Top Bottom