Freeview with Sky digibox

Permabanned
hi, im looking into purchasing freeview, but says on the website freeview isnt available in my area, it also says that the postcode checker isnt 100 percent accurate so i thought i might try it and return the freeview box if it dont work. I cuurently have sky digital with the sky aerial it came with, with a "mediumish" connection. Is there a way of using it to get freeview? would i just have to plug another cable into my digibox from my freeview box ??? :confused:

Permabanned
OP
i was thinking of using the digibox which is in a different room that has sky digital. obviously it already has a sky viewing card in it which uses the ariel so would i have to buy a new box aswel?

Soldato
I don't wish to cause offence but your posts are really badly constructed and confusing.

Sky does NOT use an Aerial.

If you would like Freeview then you need a relatively good signal coming in and a Freeview box.

If you would like FreeSAT then you need a Sky Dish, Digibox and Viewing Card.

The website isn't 100% accurate so if you email me your post code I will give you a better idea on reception.

Permabanned
OP
my posts dont look confusing to me :confused: remember i dont know anything, anything at all about satellites, tv's so im sorry if my posts are confusing

at the moment all i have in my bedroom is a tv which is not connected to anything. downstairs in the lounge we have sky digital which obviously uses a sky dish (Aerial). to get freesat what exactly would i have to buy? would i have to get another sky dish and digibox AND veiwing card?

Soldato
SameSuspect said:
at the moment all i have in my bedroom is a tv which is not connected to anything. downstairs in the lounge we have sky digital which obviously uses a sky dish (Aerial). to get freesat what exactly would i have to buy? would i have to get another sky dish and digibox AND veiwing card?
A sky dish is a sky dish or a satellite dish - not an aerial. This is what Tesla was saying is causing confusion.

But to answer your question, to get FreeSat in your other room you would need a new Digibox, a new LNB fitted to your existing dish (to get another satellite feed to the bedroom), and a FreeSat card.

You could upgrade to Sky+, and use the old box in the bedroom... Not sure which would work out cheapest.

Soldato
Sky doesn't use an Ariel, it uses a Dish, dont mix the two up.

If you want to keep your current Sky setup downstairs whilst having FreeSAT upstairs then yes you will need another Dish, Box and Access Card.

You might want to check if you can put up another Dish, as most places you are only allowed one per house.

Associate
a sky dish could also be a parabolic antenna </end pedantic mode>

Don't need another dish for more than one box- just swap the LNB with a 4 port one (you can get 8 port ones too but they won't fit onto a minidish as they need a dish with a 40mm collar).

Soldato
SameSuspect said:
quite pricey then :(

Quad LNB - £15
Satellite Quality Coax - £0.50 (per metre - unless you buy bulk)
Sky Box - £40 (2nd hand)
Freesat Card - £20

Not too bad cost wise imo.

MuvverRussia said:
a sky dish could also be a parabolic antenna </end pedantic mode>
OK smarty pants. You are correct though. A Sky Dish is a parabolic antenna.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Quad LNB - £15
Satellite Quality Coax - £0.50 (per metre - unless you buy bulk)
Sky Box - £40 (2nd hand)
Freesat Card - £20

Not too bad cost wise imo.

do you know where i can find info on how to install? thanx

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
It installs as you would install anything mate, just all completely plug and play. Your dish is already alligned so nothing to do there, simply pop out the old LNB from the arm and plonk the new one in. Run the coax to where you want then plug it into the second box.

Permabanned
OP
also about the LNB, will these specifications be ok

this is on the bay for 17.99 buy it now (thought id get a "high performance" one?

SPECIFICATION:

TITLE:New Titanium Edition .2db Twin LNB

Manufacturer
Smart

Type
TTX

Feed
40 mm

Input
Low-Band : 10,7 - 11,7 GHz
High-Band : 11,7 - 12,75 GHz

Output