• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What new card for around £100

Soldato
Currently in my machine i have 9600XT, while it plays older games fine i find it a pain not being able to turn up the eye candy in newer games and struggling frame rates. As usual moneys a bit tight so im looking to spend around the £100 area, obviously the cheaper the better. This card would have to last me a year, as thats when i intend to upgrade once vista etc comes out and i really need to move on. so currently what i have in the shortlist are

9800XT
6600GT
1600 pro

Obviously the 9800XT is the cheapest option and the one i most want to go for but i cant find one that doesnt go on ebay for over £70 (if anyone has one thats collecting dust and wants to sell ill buy it. So in your renowned opinion what one should i spend my money on. Games i play are WoW CS:S and a few shader intensive programs. card must be AGP.

Soldato
Nvidia 7600GS can be had for well under a ton. DOH, but I cannot find one on AGP.

I'd say the Sapphire X1600Pro for around £90 would be the best option.

Last edited:
Caporegime
WatchTower said:
I'm not sure about how good this card but it looks ok the only down sie is it only has 8 piplelines.

Sapphire X1600 Pro 256MB DDR2 AVIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-116-SP) £93.94

That card is a terrible card and about as useful as a chocolate fire guard!
Steer clear.

6600 gt or if you can stretch a 6800gs

Caporegime
NeptuneUK said:
the X1600 is direct x 9 and smartshader 3, the older radeons arent.

get either an X1600 or a 6600gt, both are pretty much the same.

A Radeon 9800 pro is faster than a x1600

And a 6600GT smacks the x1600 around the face with a wet kipper wiping the floor with it. ;)

Soldato
OP
so my best option is either a 9800XT or a 6600GT, is there anywhere apart from ebay that i can pick these second hand. Would get the 6600GT from here but still tops over a ton, is the Leadtek WinFast GeForce 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-050-LT) thats listed on ocuk any good?

someone on here has to be selling something, im surprised a big forum like this doesnt have a for sale section. maybe a bad business move (probably) thanks anyways guys

Caporegime
lewism said:
so my best option is either a 9800XT or a 6600GT, is there anywhere apart from ebay that i can pick these second hand. Would get the 6600GT from here but still tops over a ton, is the Leadtek WinFast GeForce 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-050-LT) thats listed on ocuk any good?

someone on here has to be selling something, im surprised a big forum like this doesnt have a for sale section. maybe a bad business move (probably) thanks anyways guys

That card is fine and the forum does have a for sale section but you need 250 posts to access it.
:)

Soldato
OP
easyrider said:
That card is fine and the forum does have a for sale section but you need 250 posts to access it.
:)

Ah thanks, very friendly forum and very informative. im enjoying my time here. i may wait until i accumulate enough posts and see what people have to offer on there. in my expereience buying of forums is much easier that fleabay.

Are there any other cards. how much do 6800 vanillas go for? are they even easy to find

Back
Top Bottom