scuba diving

Associate
How many people do it? What organisation (bsac/padi etc) level and number of dives?

I just got back from 2 weeks in eygpt, it was awsome!

Associate
PADI Divemaster and TDI Nitrox qualified

Probably 140+ dives logged, although I've not dived much lately...Egypt (Sharm) is extremely good diving...

Soldato
I dived loads in Australia but I am not qualified, so I am hoping to next time im out there (if ever! :p)

Soldato
Been doing it since I was 14 (thats 8yrs now) went throught with PADI but they are getting far to easy these days.
Awesome hobby to have I think :cool:
Now use it as a commerical Diver for my dads company - bbbrrrrr its freezing even with dry suites!!! :(

Soldato
I got into Scuba Diving with my dad in 2002. I did my PADI Jr Open Water in 2003. We were only allowed to go to 12m, but I went with another group to 20m (group of dive masters with my dad) My dad took his Open Water the same year. 2003-2005 was basically just going deeper as we were allowed, until iturned 14 (5 days ago! Woot.) Last year, In Cuba my dad was still Open Water, but went down to 50m on a chain/wreck dive. This year in Egypt, I'm taking my Open Water and my dad is taking his Advanced.

Permabanned
BSAC: Advanced Diver
IANTD: Tech Nitrox
TDI: Full Trimix

No of Dives: stopped counting a while ago, probably about a 1000 now

Lostkat said:
I'd love to take up scuba diving... Stoney Cove is pretty close to me, and I'd like to give it a try.
I can recommend a BSAC club in S Leics if you're interested.

Soldato
Sleepy said:
BSAC: Advanced Diver
IANTD: Tech Nitrox
TDI: Full Trimix

No of Dives: stopped counting a while ago, probably about a 1000 now

I can recommend a BSAC club in S Leics if you're interested.

Padi Advanced, (taken on GBR)
Dives - 10

Can you recommend any in the english channel?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
ive done it once on holiday...would love to do it more...but if you join these club things...then do you dive in the UK? cos no way am i diving in any of the grimey seas and rivers this country has to offer... :p

Associate
A2Z said:
ive done it once on holiday...would love to do it more...but if you join these club things...then do you dive in the UK? cos no way am i diving in any of the grimey seas and rivers this country has to offer... :p

Hehe, you'd think it would be horrible here then, radioactive turds etc.. :p I remember doing my first open water dives & was amazed at what I seen, it was so beautiful. The water can be very clear as well.
I don't particularly like heights and remember coming out through the side of a wreck and seeing divers at the bottom below me and my brain getting a bit confused thinking I could fall down to where they where.
I suppose it depends on where you are located but theres a whole bunch of excellent dive sites of the cost of N.Ireland & Strangford Lough is a marine nature reserve as well I think.
I don't dive any more here although I would occassionally on holiday but it's an incredibly enjoyable sport to experience.

Soldato
Been diving since 1999, I'm a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver but I've just joined a BSAC club in Bournemouth and I'm hoping to go to sports diver after easter.

Did my first dive in UK waters yesterday. Went to Vobster near Yeovil was great but very cold (5 degrees c)

Got my PADI qualifications in Florida and did a weeks diving with my dad in Minorca :)

Decided after yesterday that I need to invest in a dry suit!

Panzer

Soldato
Pay Another Dolla In! :p

I did a small course with the university's guys on BSAC but never go to the open sea test, I did pass my theory and my pool test though...

Associate
OP
Anyone member of a bsac club in london? How is your club? I'm thinking of joining the one in richmond, but im not convinced - my padi people are pretty good.

Associate
I'm a BSAC qualified sports diver as well as a PADI Advanced which I’ve done on the side during med holidays.
Being of equal level in both areas I have to say BSAC are the more professional emphasising more on safety and do consistent training.
I'm with www.banstead-divers.co.uk (surrey) who have some very experienced and professional instructors. We also got a brand new boat recently. We also share our pool with a PADI club whose policy seems to be production line based (get um off for their summer holiday) having no real permanent members.
The good thing about being in a perminant member club is it's a nice social thing and you trust people a lot more when diving.
BSAC train you much better if you intend to dive UK waters and BSAC I being recognised much more now internationally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom