306 D Turbo Overheating

Soldato
Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone could give a little advice.

My brother has a 1997 306 DTurbo (Phase 2) which I sold to him a few weeks ago.

In the last few weeks the temperature gauge has been reading too high. Normally it reads around 80, going up to about 90 in heavy traffic. Recently it has been reading anything from 90 to 110. Howeve,r it tends to be fairly stable, and even on a long run it doenst keep getting hotter.

Is this liekyl to be a dodogy sensor, a dodgy thermostatic valve or something else?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks :)

Soldato
possible that the screw mod has screwed it too far.

or. i had a 406dt years ago. its guage used to vary a lot. in normal use it would stick to 80, in traffic or when driven hard it would creep up to 100 ish.

did no harm to my car and i suspected they were all like that. even put a new 'stat on it

Soldato
my first 306 got to around 85 if you were giving it some around town in first/second/third. It getting to 100+ is worrying. Check for coolant level/mayo and report back?

Soldato
OP
Cheers for your replies fellas. :)

Coolant level is fine. Maybe a flush would help.

The temp thing is pretty constantly high (over the past weeks), it always seems to be well over 90. Therefore I dont think its heavy traffic or anything similiar.

There are no warning lights or anything like that.

Soldato
-Mike- said:
Lol!! ;) I did indeed mean degrees C, that would have been marked down :p 60 in third is pretty much all you can get :)

Aye :)

1st: 20
2nd: 40
3rd: 60
4th: 80 (can probably get more out of 4th but it's much faster shortshifting)
5th: 110

You could have a faulty:

Thermostat
Temperature Gauge

or

You could just be low on fluid, maybe an airlock?

Soldato
5th does more than 110!!! ;)

To the OP - Could you do me a favour? Assuming your DT has dead locking like mine and an alarm, can you look in your drivers side fusebox and see how many relays you have at the far left? I have one missing and i'm wondering if the previous owners got sick of the alarm siren? Thanks :)

Soldato
Stonedofmoo said:
I think you'll find the screw mod doesnt apply to Phase 2's?
I'm pretty sure you can. The HDi's didn't come out until phase 3.

What is this screw mod? What is actually modded? What year of car does it apply to?

Basically you can up the boost and fueling simply by turning a couple of screws. It can give some good results for a free tinker but it seems a bit hit and miss for my liking.

Soldato
So basically it makes more noise and smoke :D .

I'm thinking of buying an 01 306 2.0 HDi (£2750) It's done 105k miles and has service history, but not full. It's well spec'd got A/C, CD Player, Front Fogs etc.

Is it worth it? Or should I look for 1 with fsh? Can you find out if they have been filling it up with red diesil?

Soldato
The boost compensator screw makes the most difference I found. It puts more fuel in before the turbo cuts in so when it does cut in it doesn't feel like it's turboed. I'm not sure if it provides more fuel when the turbo spooled up or not though.

I adjusted the boost too by shortening the wastegate arm? I think it actually made it slower though since I didnt want to mess about with the fuel pump screw thingy.

Back
Top Bottom