• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can I rectify faulty 7800GT?

Soldato
About a month ago I purchased a Gainward GS 7800GT off a guy on Ebay (yep won't be doing that again)

From the outset it produced artifacts in a multitude of games. The only way I can stop this is by useing Gainwards "Expertool" application and running the card in "safe mode" which means buying a Golden Sample was all but pointless.

Gainward refuse to deal with end users directly and the chap on Ebay turned out to be a 12 year old kid using his dads details (spoke to father but he's not interested)

Is this simply a duff card or is there anything I can check (heatsink etc?)

Any advice would be great.

Soldato
OP
I did all the usual steps, including Paypal, but all they would do is give me 5 days to get a fault report from a 3rd party repair company.. Basically a fob off.

Ultimately I'm left to sort this out by myself.

Soldato
OP
He lives in North Scotland so it's a bit of a trek from Brum.

Again I've claimed with Paypal but they are as useful as a chocolate teapot and I'm stuck with the card.

Edit - Yep my reply was after reporting it to Paypal.

All I'm really after is some idea of what's causing the artifacts at stock (GS) speed. As they disappear when it's underclocked could it be heat (faulty heatsink) or the GPU itself?

Associate
It may be worth poping the heatsink off and having a look at the quality of the attach, it may indeed be heat.

Worth giving the board a good looking over to make sure there are no cracked or damaged components.

Back
Top Bottom