Leon TDi Cupra remap

Associate
Booked in for a custom remap on the Leon this Thurs through Jabba, taking it to roughly 200bhp/450Nm give or take a couple of horses. Can't wait!!

Just wondering what people think of their remaps if you've had it done, or if you're thinking of having it done. What cars, and what sort of figures before/after?? Any 0-60 times would be nice, would like to know what mine could be, if anyone has had a Leon remapped.

Thanks

gilb08

Associate
OP
Yeah, am a member on there too (haven't got round to posting there yet).
Not everyone here goes on seatcupra.net, so thought it might be nice to post here as well.

Soldato
Yeah the insurance will definitely need to know. I imagine some companies will really sting you for a re-map. When I had my Ibiza Cupra I was amazed that my insurer, Greenlight, only wanted an extra £40 a year if I got it Revo'd, taking my Cupra from 156bhp to something just over 200bhp!

In contrast, I fitted a K & N Typhoon induction kit to my MX5 last week and Admiral want an extra £60 a year and it barely increases the performance :(

Man of Honour
mark66 said:
In contrast, I fitted a K & N Typhoon induction kit to my MX5 last week and Admiral want an extra £60 a year and it barely increases the performance :(

Admiral HATE remaps..

530d: £784
530d with remap: £1650!

Soldato
mark66 said:

I phoned NUD to check how much adding an induction kit would cost; first time was £28. So i fitted the kit, phoned up to add it to my policy and the price changed to £23. I'm not complaining, but it must just be completely random....

Associate
I'm popping down ( 6hr+ drive! ) too Jabba next month if I get the time off.
Had the full cat back already fitted by BlueFlame, while at Jabba they will be fitting a TIP, DV, Boost Controller and then custom remap on the roller plus on the street.

Should be looking ar around 240bhp then from this 180bhp standard!

Soldato
but how will the insurance company know that the engine has been remapped? when it comes to having a claim its almost a invisible mod (visually),

or do they know that these type of cars are remappable so thats the first thing they will check?

of course if you play by the book you will tell the insurance company, im just wondering that all!

Associate
i have a revo remap on my leon cupra. with the revo you can turn it off completely, so i havent informed my insurance company. naughty i know!
standard my car is 180bhp and feels very slow, but with the map turned on revo reckon you get around 215bhp, and this feels sooo much quicker :p

Soldato
Serj said:
I phoned NUD to check how much adding an induction kit would cost; first time was £28. So i fitted the kit, phoned up to add it to my policy and the price changed to £23. I'm not complaining, but it must just be completely random....

It changes all the time mate.

For example, the cost to insure my fiesta was £146 p/m then next time I checked it was £154, then back to £150 and so on.

Soldato
Enfield said:
It changes all the time mate.

For example, the cost to insure my fiesta was £146 p/m then next time I checked it was £154, then back to £150 and so on.

Indeed, I'd imagine the risk multipliers they use remain constant, but they tweak their base rate depending on how profitable they currently are, level of claims etc.

Associate
I have a remapped Leon TDI FR.

Jabbasport are well known for being "enthusiastic" with their figures - what counts is that you are happy with the performance, and you will be.

Things to note:

1) Tyres. When remapped your torque will be knocking on the door of 300lb ft, expect heavy tyre wear. Mine lasted 14k, but to be honest they were shot at 12, and that's with a remap at 5k.

2) Clutch Slip. Under 10 degrees c the clutch will slip between 2k and 2.8k rpm, colder=more slip, because the torque will increase. Unless Jabbasport factor this in and drop the boost accordingly, expect it. First day of the year today I can remember being over 10 deg c and I got no clutch slip at all for the first time.

3) Smoke. It will smoke more. Stock=low/no smoke. Remapped+warm weather = smokescreen behind you.

4) Wheelspin. Don't expect fantastic 0-60 figures. You have to be careful on the power in 1st 2 gears or the traction control will go mad and you won't go anywhere. Turn off traction control and you'll pretty much just sit there at anything over half throttle :) Mine wheelspins up to around 50mph unless I'm careful.

5) Fuel Consumption - I've not noticed any difference in day to day. On longer runs, fuel consumption seems to be slightly better. Driving miss daisy I can get 530 miles on a tank then reserve light on. Driving normally somewhere around 450. Caning it, somewhere around 380.

Other than that, when remapped and on the move you'll generally stay with similar size cars up to around 230hp, so stock Impreza WRX, Porsche Boxter Non S, Merc 3.2 SLK etc, at least up to a certain speed (I don't know, all of those, we ran out of *private* road cough etc) - in other words perfomance is pretty good for a practical economical car, though a remapped Cupra R will show you a clean set o heels :)

In other words, I think you'll be happy with it :)

I wanted mine remapping after 1500 miles - stock 150hp really isn't quick at all, but once remapped it removed the urge to instantly trade it in for something with more oomph (though I want a 3.0d Beemer next, or something similar).

Hope that helps.

Enjoy!

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Admiral HATE remaps..

530d: £784
530d with remap: £1650!

I found they (and Direct Line) go to town on increased premiums with Bigger wheels - going from 16 to 18s I found cost more than the remap on my old car! Needed 18s to squeeze the 356mm 6 pot APs to go under :) No premium increase for them either :) Should think so - damn things were unfadeable! (Unless I just wasn't trying hard enough...)

Associate
Enfield said:
How come when I mentioned on here ages ago that my uncle had his Leon TDi remapped to just under 200bhp everycall called bull? :mad:

Cause everyone will get different rolling road figures but most tuners reckon on 180-190 hp, save for Jabba who'll tell ya 200 :)

Who cares so long as he's happy with it? Torque is more important than hp for these things, and they have that in abundance.

Soldato
Norwich Union Direct charge 10% of your policy for each modification.

lmfy2k said:
but how will the insurance company know that the engine has been remapped? when it comes to having a claim its almost a invisible mod (visually)

Visually it isn't but if they really wanted to a quick plug in of the computer would reveal you had a remap done and is it really worth the risk? If you can't afford the extra insurance then maybe you shouldn't have a remap done in the first place. It isn't worth the risk anymore as insurers are very picky!

Back
Top Bottom