Daft question - Router + Uni

Soldato
I am at university, as such my main PC is hooked up into an RJ45 faceplate on the wall.

Is it possible to use my old router (Draytek Vigor 2600) to share this internet connection to two PC's?

Last edited:
Associate
You probably won't need it. Did you have to register your MAC? If not then all you need to do is plug in a switch (you can disable dhcp and use the switch on your router if you like). Otherwise you will need to clone the MAC of your pc and use the NAT built into the router.

Soldato
Topgun said:
Otherwise you will need to clone the MAC of your pc and use the NAT built into the router.

Or just ring them up and say you bought a new PC and can you have the new mac registered.

Permabanned
2600 has a built in ADSL modem and an rj11 port rather than a rj45 port. So not really.

I guess it depends on if he has a local IP address or a public one, for either a switch or a router? :confused:

And if you use a Draytek, don't worry about the MAC address, you can just change it in the gonfig page.

Although I am not sure what happens if you put 2 MAC addresses on the same Network, might screw the up the Switches.

Last edited:
Soldato
iamgud said:
2600 has a built in ADSL modem and an rj11 port rather than a rj45 port. So not really.

I guess it depends on if he has a local IP address or a public one, for either a switch or a router? :confused:

And if you use a Draytek, don't worry about the MAC address, you can just change it in the gonfig page.

Although I am not sure what happens if you put 2 MAC addresses on the same Network, might screw the up the Switches.

but he would be using a router, using layer 3, the switch would only see one layer 2 mac address

Soldato
Burberryflop said:
He'll be using the router purely as a switch - the Draytek won't be doing any routing as it has the wrong type of WAN connection.

ok, but changing the mac address on the switch side of the draytek isn't going to help him one bit

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Just as a side note, I used a wireless broadband router at uni. Just spoofer my laptop mac ID in the router utility, plugged it in, job done. I wasn't totally sure on the universities acceptance of this, so I changed the name of the router too, to make sure. My sole reason for a router was for the wireless, so I wasn't technically doing anything wrong.

Soldato
Do you get assigned a private IP when plugging into the wall socket? if you do youll be behind the campus firewall and wont have a direct internet connection as mentioned youll only be able to use the services provided by the Uni, you wil be able to hook up a switch i imagine and connect multiple pc's.

Soldato
OP
Ok to access the internet here at Uni I have to register a MAC address with the network, easy enough to work around that.

I get an IP address assigned automatically yes, only thing is I am not sure how yo go about getting my router to work, I Can hook up my 2 pc's and the router to the faceplate via Cat5 cables, the two pcs can see each other fine, it's just accessing the internet which I am unable to get working.

I forgot to mention I'm trying to use it solely as a switch but am having no luck atm

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
Best option's probably to ask the support folks at your university.

aye true :) just they are often very hard to get hold of, I'll have another play - but if all else fails I can still use ICS from one PC to another, but it's a bit more clumsy for what I need. :)

Caporegime
If ICS works then swapping the router for a "broadband" router with an RJ45 WAN port should do it - the only (technical) issue being, as you mentioned, MAC address registration.
The other problem is if they don't allow multiple machines on one setup.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
tolien said:
If ICS works then swapping the router for a "broadband" router with an RJ45 WAN port should do it - the only (technical) issue being, as you mentioned, MAC address registration.
The other problem is if they don't allow multiple machines on one setup.

Aye, tolien is right, as per my post above. That's how I did it. Linksys WRT54G whatever it is, spoof mac address, shared net connection.

Back
Top Bottom