Dell 3100cn colour printer and colour photos?

Associate
I've quite interested in this printer but I'm a bit unsure of its capabilities...

Being a laser would it be able to print out decent colour photos (on photo paper) or are its colour capabilities only for spreadsheets and pie charts etc? :confused:

Sorry if this is an incredibly dumb question. :rolleyes:

Soldato
We've got several of the 5100CN's at work and they're complete and utter rubbish. I don't like Lexmark printers and that's all Dell printers are - Lexmarks with a different badge on them.

I think we've got a 3100CN in one of the offices in Germany and last time I was there the printer had been removed and shoved into a storeroom because it was so bad. It did annoying things like pausing to calibrate itself every 20 pages or so (or when coming back from powersave) and the print quality compared to the equvilient HP was significantly worse.

Soldato
To be fair the 3100cn we have is bloody good for the money - not in the same league as the 'better' colour lasers, but a lot cheaper.
BW is good, colour is fine for business use.

There is not really any such thing as 'photo paper' for laser printers (please point me out as wrong if I am as I would like to find some). Printing colour onto semi-gloss paper just highlights the fact that the toner is not glossy and the result looks strange.

It is also quite big but does have two trays so I can have business letterheads in one and plain in the other which is useful.

So in summary - not bad, not best of class but cheap. A goood buy if you want to print BW/colour documents and the occasional photo. If you want to frame the photos you print out buy a multi cartridge ink jet.

Associate
OP
So basically this printer will only print on standard type paper?

Hmm I really thought I'd found a winner here. I'm looking for a printer that will do mainly documents but could also print a decent quality photos out on proper photo paper.

I need to upgrade my dodgy old HP circa 2000 cos it's quality is lacking and I'm fed up with the ridiculous prices of HP's cartridges. :mad:

Anyone got any suggestions?

Soldato
I forgot to mention consumables, Dell seem to be very optimistic when it comes to their consumables. We get about 4000 pages from a black toner as opposed to the 9000 they advertise.

Yes, I know they quote that figure at 5% coverage and that is roughly what these printers are doing.

Associate
I have the 5100 and 3100 and i actually found the 3100 results to be better.

As for the glossy paper i use glossy white 50u double sided and the results are really good :)

Associate
OP
Townlea said:
I have the 5100 and 3100 and i actually found the 3100 results to be better.

As for the glossy paper i use glossy white 50u double sided and the results are really good :)
Are the results good enough to put in a photo frame?

Back
Top Bottom