quake 4 problem

Permabanned
i bought quake 4 today, just so i can play 1v1 with a css clan mate of mine on late night sessions ;)

anyway came home, game installed fine etc, splash screen came up again and i clicked play, monitor changed to 800x600 (i believe that must be default res) and the screen is gray, and then screen goes black and im back on desktop :confused: the game isnt running or anything, anyone know where my problem might be or how to fix it.

Thanks

if my pc specs have anything to do with it they are:

AMD 64 3000+ (754)
1gb Geil Value
Aopen 6800LE (no unlocks)
Soundblaster Audigy

Associate
Hiya, try updating your sound or graphics drivers. Read a thread somwhere else where people were having the same issue, this sorted most of them out i believe. Good luck

Permabanned
OP
well i know my gfx drivers are the latests ones afaik unless any new nvidia ones have been released within the last week :rolleyes: but the soundcard drivers im not sure about will check later, thanks for the advice anyway, will post back if its worked or not :)

N3M

N3M

Associate
when you have made sure everything is up to date try loading default gfx settings also..

I find sometimes deleting the q4 config file in the q4 folder and then running q4 again (resetting all in-game settings) fixes a lot....

GL

Soldato
I had a similar problem and it was all caused by out of date drivers. Give N3Ms idea a go, you have got nothing to loose!

Permabanned
OP
ok so updated soundcard drivers they installed fine (or so it said) pc came on but no sound, came up with a error saying please re-install drivers, so i installed the original drivers i had from the cd, then when the pc restarts it keeps crashing at the windows screen (you know where the blue lines go across etc) and to make things worse i cant do anything due to my keyboard usb powered so cnt actually use it until the windows logon screen haha, i love pcs me

Permabanned
OP
right just ran round to a mates and nicked his keyboard, started up and this time i chose most recent settings or whatever instead of it auto selecting start windows normally and im gettin past the windows screen but then gettin a bsod. just trying to start in safe mode now see what happens and uninstall the soundcard drivers :)

Permabanned
OP
worked in safe mode, uninstalled drivers, restarted, re-installed original drivers, not gunna bother trying to update, will try deleting the config but if it still doesnt work im just gunna wait until i get my new pc to play it :)

Associate
Sorry if my suggestion caused you grief :( Actually solved the same issue that you were having this morning, my fiance's dad could not load quake either, updated his sound drivers (Audigy ones) and all is working. He had actually tried the quake file thing and tried re-installing the game. Hope you get it all ok though :D

Permabanned
OP
yeh see i believe that mine lies with my soundcard drivers but it was like when i installed the new ones everything went to pot :( dont know what was up

any chance you could send me the exact drivers you used for example and how you installed them, i just downloaded latest off creative site and installed them over the old ones :s

Associate
Sounds a little worse than what i had this afternoon. The driver that i installed are the top ones on the list, link here
As another thought, you might want to try un-installing your sound card and then using these drivers to re-install? may work. :)

Back
Top Bottom