FAO Lopez

Zip

Zip

Soldato
I think you the rally guy on this forum anyway :o

Could you please tell me info on how to get into rallying and how much it costs to make a car rally spec?(not including the car)
Im intersted in getting into it and i want details and how much it could cost :)
Thanks in Advance

Edit: anyone else that knows anything feel free to post it up :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
What kind of rallying?

Single-venue? Tarmac? Gravel? Clubman? National? 12 car navigational?

It's a very expensive hobby (slightly less so with navigational road rallies) but the cheapest way to get into it is to join your local motor club, get to know the people there, start in 12-car road rallies and purchase a pre-prepped car. Prepping a car yourself costs a fortune.

*n

Soldato
12 cars is a very cheap way to start, as the amount of modifcations allowable are quite restricted (but depend on how relaxed your local motor club is). However, it's probably not what you have in mind for rallying, i.e. it's on open public roads and (as the name suggests) there are up to 12 cars competing. The aim is to solve various types of navigational clues to get to waypoints within a certain time limit, so the skill of the navigator is probably more important than the driver.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
The type of rallying im interested in is tarmac and gravel.
I dont really like 12 car road rallys tbh.
Could someone please tell me what clubman, single venue and national rallys(im guessing that national rallys means driving in the national rally championship? :confused: ) are, ive heard of them but i cant think of what there are.
Thanks for your help so far

Permabanned
Best to scour the British Rally Forums; in particular the 'Stage Rallying' section.

Say hello to my dad if you see him.

The cheapest way would be to purchase a pre-built car.

Stage rallies cost several hundred pounds to enter...You get a few stage miles for your money...you'll break bits, there's no insurance for your car, wear and tear on components is astronomical...Rallying is like driving down the A1 throwing tenners out the window.

BUT it's great fun :D

*n

Permabanned
Zip said:
The type of rallying im interested in is tarmac and gravel.
I dont really like 12 car road rallys tbh.
Could someone please tell me what clubman, single venue and national rallys(im guessing that national rallys means driving in the national rally championship? :confused: ) are, ive heard of them but i cant think of what there are.
Thanks for your help so far

Clubman = club level
single venue - multiple 'stages' at a single 'venue' - often airfield or forest-based.
national - does what it says on the tin.

*n

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
penski said:
Clubman = club level
single venue - multiple 'stages' at a single 'venue' - often airfield or forest-based.
national - does what it says on the tin.

*n

Thanks for clearing that up, Single Venue sound fun :D
And National would be :cool: (that can wait until i have more money to throw at things)
Looks like im going to have to get an income dedicated for financing to rallying :p

Do you do any rallying penski?

Permabanned
I don't (yet) but my dad's always been rallying...stage and road...He currently has a pug 205 challenge cup car.

My grandfather rallied in a semi-works capacity for BL and Ford back in t'day.

*n

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
Ive stumbled across something called a "dogbox" i think its a gear box but why is it called a dogbox and whats the difference?

Sounds like uve got rallying in your blood penski :)

Permabanned
A dog box is a gearbox where the gears are engaged by 'dogs' meaning that , unlike a normal gearbox, there are no synchro rings to synchronise the rotational speed of the gears being mated. Instead, each gear is grabbed by toothed dog rings.

You basically get a faster, stronger and more accurate shift.

Straight-cut gears too...Mmmm. It's an addictive sound.

*n

Soldato
Zip said:
Ive stumbled across something called a "dogbox" i think its a gear box but why is it called a dogbox and whats the difference?

Sounds like uve got rallying in your blood penski :)

I think you mean dog leg?

1st gear is is where 2nd usually is, then 2 where 3rd and 3rd where 4th and 4th where the 5th is on a normal box.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
penski said:
A dog box is a gearbox where the gears are engaged by 'dogs' meaning that , unlike a normal gearbox, there are no synchro rings to synchronise the rotational speed of the gears being mated. Instead, each gear is grabbed by toothed dog rings.

You basically get a faster, stronger and more accurate shift.

Straight-cut gears too...Mmmm. It's an addictive sound.

*n

Is that why when a rally car changes gears they have a unique sound(i cant really describe how it sounds, kinda like a rattling jolt)

How long do tires last in rallying? its not a case of one rally and at least one set of new tires is it?

Permabanned
Enfield said:
I think you mean dog leg?

1st gear is is where 2nd usually is, then 2 where 3rd and 3rd where 4th and 4th where the 5th is on a normal box.

No - he means dogbox :)

Zip - straight-cut gears make a whining, shreaking noise. Dog-engagement is a definite *CLUNK*.

As for tyres...depends on the compound, the stage surface, how the stage is (open? twisty?), your driving style...

My dad gets about 500 miles from a set of ubersoft yokohamas, a lot less from Colway slicks.

*n

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
penski said:
No - he means dogbox :)

Zip - straight-cut gears make a whining, shreaking noise. Dog-engagement is a definite *CLUNK*.

As for tyres...depends on the compound, the stage surface, how the stage is (open? twisty?), your driving style...

My dad gets about 500 miles from a set of ubersoft yokohamas, a lot less from Colway slicks.

*n

Its the Clunk i would have heard most, i love that noise :D
Is there an age restriction with rallying? Im only 17 at the moment and will be turing 18 later in the year

Permabanned
Only just noticed you're antipodean.

Dunno how any of this stuff relates to over there. Sorry :/

Best advice I can give is to talk to your local motor clubs.

*n

Permabanned
Didnt you post about the amazing feat of driving your mums 4x4 down a one way street?

As well as loads of garbage about buying high powered cars?

Not a personal attack, but just wondering. Since you usually need to be a skilled driver to do rallying.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
Oblivious said:
Didnt you post about the amazing feat of driving your mums 4x4 down a one way street?

As well as loads of garbage about buying high powered cars?

Not a personal attack, but just wondering. Since you usually need to be a skilled driver to do rallying.

I think you are referring to the post where i was asking about the E30 BMW.
I might only be 17 but ive done more Kms compared to most, but there is still room for learning :)

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
penski said:
Only just noticed you're antipodean.

Dunno how any of this stuff relates to over there. Sorry :/

Best advice I can give is to talk to your local motor clubs.

*n

Most of it should apply i think, i need to get a rally licence though unless i race Clubman i think

Back
Top Bottom