New Clio III - running it in.

Associate
Having recently been given a new Clio mk 3 1.4, on reading the drivers handbook I understand that it is good practice to run the engine in for the first 600 to 1000-ish miles.

Does this really have any benefits on a modern engine, other than helping to minimise engine wear in its early life and hence increse longevity? Will I see a performance increase (other than using higher revs) in the future as a result of running the engine in? Will I see improved MPG? etc...

Soldato
Given a Mk3? That'd be second hand then? In that case, its a bit late to run it in...

It improves engine life. Maybe a bit of a performance and economy benefit.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
tbh on a new car like that I wouldn't worry about running it in.

The debate has been had here before, and imho unless you're running a pretty stressed engine or are specifically told by the manufacturer not to (like on a Lotus elise, at the 1k service they download data from the ec to see if you've been caning it. If so, bye bye warranty...), there's no need to.

Modern engine manufacturing techniques are far more advanced then the ol' days, and it's also said engines that are driven harder at the start of their life loosen up better and produce a tad more power, although doubt that'd matter too much on the 1.4.

So personally I'd drive it as normal, I wouldn't nanny it.

If it was a brand new expensive sports car though I'd be doing whatever the dealer told me :)

Soldato
If the manual says run it in, I'd definetly run it in. It's only 600 miles. Plan a day or two out somewhere and you'll cover most of it. When is the first service? If its at the end of the running in, it may well have a different oil in.

N3M

N3M

Associate
You could do it the old italian way.... :D

Taking the car to topspeed and changing down to first, leaving the car at full rev in 1st 2nd and 3rd for something like 10 mins each... all done on a motorway/runway thing....

read that on clubgti's forums a while ago :p

Associate
I'd run it in. Give it lots of hard work such as going up a hill in forth at 30 mph and accelerate.

On the farm we always put new tractors on the most demanding job and always find it toughens up the engine.

Giving an engine hard work doesn't mean thrashing the **** out of it ;)

Have fun!

Soldato
I heard low revs but lots of throttle.

I.e. pedal to the metal upto 3k Rpm, then change gear. Some lads on Cliosport say that's helped with their 172/182's etc.

Soldato
FincH said:
Some lads on Cliosport say that's helped with their 172/182's etc.

How would they know if it helped unless they had two of the same car with same mileage and tested them different ways :confused:

Soldato
Enfield said:
How would they know if it helped unless they had two of the same car with same mileage and tested them different ways :confused:

They have, but well, not so precisley, but the results do show it seems to help.

At their Rolling Road events etc, cars that have been run in as mentioned above have produced more power than stock figures and other cars of similar or less mileage that have been run in 'norrmaly'.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks guys.

I've only drive about 100 miles so far with the car, which have been short journeys to and from school for the most part.

I might go out today for a nice long drive and eat up a few more miles, there are a few quite and hilly areas around here to so I will try and give that idea a go as well.

Associate
I'd just treat it 'normal' to be honest.

Take it easy until the oil's warmed up, ~3,000rpm max.
After that drive as you wish, just try & not ping off the limiter for the first 1,000miles. A decent long drive sounds a good idea for it.

Enjoy!
And where are the pictures!!!

I absolutely love the Clio advert...
Freeeeeench Car, British Designers!!!
She is a little cutey! :)

Back
Top Bottom