What makes a car a super car?

Soldato
Is it a combination of speed, price,bigger engine, and rarity?
Some cars are rare may due to limited edition or end of line.
There are plenty of cars with massive engines in them but they dont exactly qualify as one and in terms of speed most car are pretty fast these days. I sometimes think maybe supercars are not what they are hyped up to be.

Another thing i was gonna ask is - Toyota supra, Mitsubishi GTO and cars within that range, do they count as supercar?

Soldato
I think a supercar is a car with an expensive badge, big engine and rare.

I wouldnt say the supra and GTO are supercars, a better description for them would be sportscar.

I wonder what people would define the Lotus Elise though.

Permabanned
lukechad said:
I think a supercar is a car with an expensive badge, big engine and rare.

I wouldnt say the supra and GTO are supercars, a better description for them would be sportscar.

I wonder what people would define the Lotus Elise though.

Err... you answered your own question :) Sports car. Most Porsches arent supercars.

Soldato
I think supercars have to be pretty much unobtainable as the primary characteristic, I would also say impracticality (be it running costs, luggage space, silly doors or trying to throw you off the road) needs to be in there too just so rolls royce etc arent in there.

supercars certainly do not need to be good.

Soldato
Everyone has different opinions but I think usually any car that has over 500bhp is a super car.

Has to look rare, not be a daily driver, probably impractical too.

Uses gallons per mile rather than miles per galoon, this is a must.

Soldato
Supercar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Supercar may also refer to the 1960s television series Supercar, the Australian V8 Supercar series for touring cars, or the Italian title of Knight Rider, another TV-show

A supercar is a term used for a sports car, typically an exotic or rare one, whose performance is highly superlative to its contemporary sports cars. The proper application of this term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. In addition, the use of the term is dependent on the era; a vehicle that is considered to be a supercar at one time may not retain its superiority in the future. Nonetheless, the automotive press frequently calls new exotic cars "supercars". Also see the list of supercars to help understand the term subjectively.
[edit]

Performance criteria

* High power-to-weight ratio — most supercars have high engine power and low vehicle weight, for the sake of high acceleration (see Newton's Second Law) and top speed. For example, the 2004 Porsche Carrera GT carries just five pounds per horsepower (3 kg/kW or 438 hp/Mg) — compare this to the Porsche Boxster which hauls nearly 12 pounds per horsepower (7.1 kg/kW or 193 bhp/Mg). The McLaren F1, introduced in 1991 and widely considered as one of the fastest supercars of the 20th century, produced 627.1 hp (467.6 kW) against a weight of 2513 pounds (1140 kg), translating to 550 hp per 1000 kilograms or 4 pounds per horsepower. Certain vehicles have a high power-to-weight ratio despite having a heavy weight, due to a powerful engine output. For example, the Bugatti Veyron carries 4.3 pounds per horsepower despite weighing 4299 pounds (1950 kg, including fuel[1]), due to its 1001 PS (987 SAE hp/736kW) engine.

* High Acceleration — supercars, by the usual definition, have extremely quick acceleration compared to most vehicles, including ordinary sports cars. Some current expectations are as follow:
o 0 to 60 mph (96.56 km/h): Under 4 seconds for virtually all supercars today. The McLaren F1 has a 0 to 60 mph time of about 3.2 seconds. The Bugatti Veyron has a 0-60 time of 2.5 seconds.
o 0 to 100 mph (160.9 km/h): Under 10 seconds is generally called for, with undisputed supercars being significantly faster. The Ferrari Enzo, introduced in 2002, has a 0 to 100 mph time of about 6.5 seconds. McLaren F1 could do it in 6.3 seconds.
o Standing Quarter-Mile (402.3 meters): Under 13 seconds is arguably a requirement, as is a trap or terminal speed of at least 110 mph (177 km/h).
+ The Ferrari Enzo completes the quarter mile from a stop in about 11.1 seconds at 133 mph (214 km/h).
+ The Koenigsegg CCR, introduced in 2004, is officially claimed to run the quarter mile in "9 seconds, end speed 235 km/h (146 mph)" [2]

It should be noted here, however, that the term supercar usually refers to particular models of factory-built, street-legal sports cars, which tend to be perceived as unmodified; heavily modified and potentially street-illegal vehicles can often accelerate faster than any production car, requiring well under 10 seconds in the quarter mile. Because supercars are usually designed for road use as opposed to drag racing or straight-line racing alone, their standard equipment often do not include roll cages and other mandatory requirements for fast cars on a dragstrip.

* High Top Speed — Today, undisputed supercars can exceed at least 300 km/h or about 186 mph (even with a top speed of close to 300 km/h, the Ferrari 360 is usually not considered a true supercar). Among many enthusiasts, a simple supercar requirement is the ability to break 200 mph (321.9 km/h). The fastest models today have speeds exceeding 225mph (362 km/h).
o On February 28, 2005, the Koenigsegg CCR with 806 hp (601 kW) achieved a top speed of 387.87 km/h (241.01 mph) on default settings. The car was driven on Italy's Nardo Prototipo proving ground, a circular track with a circumference of 12.5 km. This exceeded the McLaren's record.[3]
o On May 20, 2005, the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 achieved a two-way average speed of 400 km/h (248.5 mph)(limited) at parent company Volkswagen's Ehra-Lessien test track. This exceeded the Koenigsegg's record. The Veyron can do 0-200mph in just under 14 seconds which is quicker than the Mclaren F1 can even do 120-200mph[4]

* Superb Handling — In contrast to a sports car which simply has a more 'sporty' or involving handling than a normal hatchback or saloon, a supercar is usually built for maximum cornering and road gripping ability in order to achieve superior racing times.

Other criteria

In addition to performance, the following criteria are also cited in determining if a particular sports car or exotic car deserves the supercar moniker:

* Styling — Supercars often feature groundbreaking styling elements. The Formula One-inspired Enzo Ferrari, for example, set a new styling direction for that company.
* Focused design — Supercars are not designed to be practical transportation devices, with functionality varying widely between different examples. Many car body styles (including 2+2 coupe, station wagon, and pickup truck) make inherent tradeoffs of performance potential for utility. By this measure, extreme vehicles like the Dodge Ram SRT-10 are not normally called supercars (in the case of Dodge Ram SRT-10, it is classified as a truck, not car, so the car-based description would not fit anyway). While one undisputed supercar, the McLaren F1, featured seating for three (and had a number of useful storage spaces), performance was not sacrificed, but instead improved by the seating design: the driver's central position lowered the vehicle's moment of inertia and increased its turning ability.
* Technology — All supercars feature cutting edge contemporary racing car technology. This has included the use of carbon fibre and ceramics, ground effects and wings, and novel layouts like mid-engine. The use of turbochargers has fallen out of favor in many recent supercars, though the Bugatti Veyron uses four. All wheel drive is also used in some modern supercars, reflecting the success of the Audi Quattro rally car. Rear wheel drive is still used most often.
* Production — Most commentators would not include one-off concept cars or self-built kit cars under this category. Although no objective metric has been agreed on, homologation often makes the case for a supercar. Similarly, the term is never applied to a pure racing car — supercars must be legal for use on the street. Although their makers often promise to produce dozens of examples, some supercars never reach these production targets. For example, while 400 Enzos were built, just two Mosler Photons have been sold.
o Special Orders — Some manufacturers have programs for car dealers, which allow dealers to order and sell specialized street vehicles that would otherwise be left unbuilt. Those cars are built by the automobile manufacturers, and may come with factory warranty. Special programs such as COPO were used by dealers in the muscle car era to sell supercars with unequal performance, even by standards of the era.
* Spirit — An extremely difficult aspect to objectively discuss is the "spirit" or "soul" many supercar buyers search for. This is often more a reflection of the manufacturer's reputation, especially on the race track, than the absolute qualities of the vehicle in question. This factor is often cited in disqualifying cars like the Honda/Acura NSX and Dodge/Chrysler Viper and including even the lesser V12-powered Ferraris.

Soldato
eidolon said:
What about stuff like TVRs, some of them only have 200-300BHP but due to the weight of them they're blisteringly fast.

I wouldn't really call any of the TVR range supercars, more sportscars

Associate
Joe T said:
Quote:
Supercar
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
* Spirit — An extremely difficult aspect to objectively discuss is the "spirit" or "soul" many supercar buyers search for. This is often more a reflection of the manufacturer's reputation, especially on the race track, than the absolute qualities of the vehicle in question. This factor is often cited in disqualifying cars like the Honda/Acura NSX and Dodge/Chrysler Viper and including even the lesser V12-powered Ferraris.
I find this a very very important part of the 'supercar-club' membership. I reckon a few to many 'high performance sportscars' are slipping through the net by only meeting engine & weight criteria's.
Namely, Ascari KZ1, Viper GTS-R, Gumpert Apollo & all Ultima's. Possibly a touch contiversial, but as much as an interesting car the Jag XJ220 is, I'm not 100% on it's seat in the 'supercar-club'. Hoof!

Associate
Basher said:
I wouldn't really call any of the TVR range supercars, more sportscars
TVR Cerbera Speed 12
V12 / 7,731cc
880bhp / 7,250rpm
975kg
917bhp/ton !!! :cool: !!!

Another example of everything stacking up to be supercar status, but falling short on spirit. Over 900bhp/ton though, Christ on a bike, the Veyron 'only' notches 530bhp/ton! :eek:

Soldato
eidolon said:
What about stuff like TVRs, some of them only have 200-300BHP but due to the weight of them they're blisteringly fast.

Wouldn't call them super cars. Just sports cars.

My dad own a Griffith 500 and a Cebera 4.2 :D

Ahh, the speed12 is a super car though!

Soldato
in the 60's/70's when cars of this type first appeared the definition was clear cut.
0-60 in less than 6 seconds and a top speed of 150MPH and upwards.

nowadays as engineering has advanced there are a gazillion cars that are capable of this and more so the goalposts have moved on.
i believe that now we need to include numbers produced ie exclusivity and the sticker price.

so for sake of argument i'll start the ball rolling and let's see if any of the other members can correct/re-define my figures for "what it takes" to be a supercar:-

0-60=sub 4.5 seconds.
top speed=185+MPH.
price=at least £100-150k
exclusivity=if they make more than a handful a week then your not allowed into our club.

any improvements on the above?

Back
Top Bottom