New Bike - Internet or Walk In

Soldato
Hey im going to buy a new bike in the next month or two so i would like to know which to get. www.pearsoncycles.co.uk is the shop near me, so preferably that.I wouldnt mind ordering off the iternet if it makes it cheaper too. I'd like to spend £300-400. The most id spend is £470 (if the new GT Avalanche 1.0) is worth that.

Thanks Guys

Soldato
If you know a lot about bikes or know someone who does, by all means buy online.

If, like me, you can adjust your seat height and maybe tighten your brakes but that's it, buy from a shop you can comfortably wheel or drive it over to for tweaks etc. Mine's due it's first-month tweak, as all the bits will have settled and need to be tightened :)

Soldato
When your looking at a £500 bike, I'm thinking you going to want to get into mtb. So long as your bike arrives built and dialed in, all youll need to do is set it for your comfort.

After that handle the servicing yourself. Things break on trails, in the middle of nowhere. Its good to know how to repair or fix bits. The Sheldon Brown site will teach you everything you EVER need to know!

http://sheldonbrown.com/

:) And get the bike soon! Summer is oh so nearly here! :D

Edit: The one thing I'd drop it into shop for is to have the wheels re tightened after the first few weeks of riding. Everything else you should be able to handle yourself.

Soldato
OP
Well that shop is near me..and my best friend works there and i know the mechanics.. i can order if its worth it. :) Erm.. well... £500 is pushing it. Probably £450-470 (£470 for GT). so £400-470

Soldato
OP
is that better than the Trek 4500, Specialized HR Sport? Also is it similar to the GT Avalanche 1.0? Or should i save the extra £70

Associate
it has the best frame and probly the best kit. it doesnt have disks but cheap disks are terrible anyway but it has disk hubs so you can upgrade later if you want to. its got full deore, forks better than any bike up to around £700 and mavic rims which you dont usually get before you spend around £800. it will also be considerably lighter

Last edited:
Soldato
That Merlin is sweet. I hadn't seen that bike on there. Im picking up one of their Malt1 frames and finish kit for £99. Looks a decent enough frame to be my winter/commute bike as well as a bit of off road action.

Back
Top Bottom