New Server / Storage PC

Soldato
Hey, we are thinking about sorting out PC's out..and getting rid of a few, so i was wondering.. for as cheap as possible a decent Storage/Server PC. Id prefer it to be as small as possible.. size wise etc.

TIA

Associate
What about a mac mini with the external hard drive that sits under-neath it.

Cant get much smaller and very scaleable, as you can add more and more of the hard drives.

Soldato
OP
Sounds good.. Id also like it to run on the monitor of another PC (Like our server is atm) Id like to be able to store backups of all MP3's etc. So needs to have a huge HD. But i like the idea of the MAC.

Associate
Im interested in this solution too.

Is it possible to have the mac mini's set up so that you dont need a keyboard/mouse/and monitor attached when booting? I'd just want to have its drives mapped to my laptop, and be able to remote desktop connect to it occassionally.

Also do the mac mini's have svideo output or similar. It would be good to set it up as a media server attached to a tv and hi-fi.

Associate
Or, if you want to go the PC route, look at something like a Shuttle or Biostar iDeq. Room inside for 2 hard drives (2*500GB SATA drives enough?), or 3 if you leave out the optical drive, and mount a 3rd drive in its place. Enough for 1.5 Terabytes, if that sort of thing floats your boat :D

You can get them in all flavours of socket, from A, 478, 775, 738, 939......

Soldato
reddeathdrinker said:
Or, if you want to go the PC route, look at something like a Shuttle or Biostar iDeq. Room inside for 2 hard drives (2*500GB SATA drives enough?), or 3 if you leave out the optical drive, and mount a 3rd drive in its place. Enough for 1.5 Terabytes, if that sort of thing floats your boat :D

You can get them in all flavours of socket, from A, 478, 775, 738, 939......

You wouldn't need to leave out the optical drive, you remove the floppy for 3rd hdd

Back
Top Bottom