• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Direct X10 - Vista Only?

Associate
I read that direct x7, 8 and 9 are being dropped for Vista and that the new operating system is only going to support direct X10

http://www.maxitmag.co.uk/article.php?articleID=369

Is this true? I mean I'm all for pushing technology forward but seeing as there will be no software for Direct X10 on the release it would be madness to drop Direct X9 support from the new OS.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I think there will be some form of emulation, not 100% though.

Someone will chime in :confused:

Soldato
DX9 games will run with DX10 - games don't have to be completly re-written every time a new version of DX comes out - obviously they wont suddenly make use of the extra features (such as volumetric clouds) in DX10, but it'll still run DX9 etc. games.

DX10 is due to come out when Vista does though - and DX10 will only run on Vista - so you'll need Vista if you want to run Halo 2 on the PC

fini

Soldato
wikipedia said:
while there will be XP drivers for "DX10" hardware XP won't support WGF 2.0, and older cards running Vista will at most support WGF 1.0 and Basic VDDM drivers.
linky

Looks like there will be dx10 for XP, but it'll be pretty crippled.
fini

Soldato
from what I remember.... DX10 will be Vista only.... not available for any other Windows. DX9 etc will be supported by a wrapper class; so its supported but with a slight loss in performance.
Not 100% - but tis what i remember from other threads.

Soldato
Associate
Not a chance will MS not release DX10 to XP. Sure its not going to be on vista release date, but they WILL release DX10 to XP.

They wont

Direct3D10 finally completes the break from the legacy fixed-function pipeline. Developers will use the programmable pipeline to emulate the older, fixed-function steps. Additionally, Microsoft had to rethink its display driver model now that the entire desktop is going 3D. The video card isn't just for games anymore. When you have a 3D desktop and give each application its own 3D window, the display driver has to be flexible and stable enough to handle the video card's increased role in the system. Microsoft split up the display driver to increase stability, to ensure that the 3D desktop stays up in the event that a game or another application crashes due to a graphics error. This change also means that Microsoft will not release DirectX 10 for Windows XP, because many of the Direct3D10 improvements will need the new Windows Vista Display Driver Model.

Soldato
paradigm said:
Oh my, that is going to suck balls :(

Vista is foul. (MSDN subscription at home, been using the varying versions of longhorn/vista beta's and so far its awful)

What dont you like about it ?

Soldato
Don't know if it's a shrewed or actually stupid bit of marketing if they think somebody will upgrade a graphics card just 2 play Halo2. Far better 2 let Vista including Halo 2 lie for 1 or 2 years untill it actually becomes a workable operating system (enough 2 run the game)

Permabanned
Its commonly known (well in my MS beta network) DX10 will come with Vista so far anyhow and after that it will be released for XP, Id guess with SP3.

BTW Halo2 (pc) is only to be for Vista so far.

As you know MS like to move the goalposts around so who knows really apart from Bill Gates. :)

Soldato
amdnv said:
Its commonly known (well in my MS beta network) DX10 will come with Vista so far anyhow and after that it will be released for XP, Id guess with SP3.
Hi - do you have any source to substantiate this? I've always been led to believe DX10 is intended for Vista and Vista only.

More quashed rumours that DX10 will appear on XP here..

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=214032&SiteID=1

Permabanned
Yes as good as source can be especially as MS change things every week, Im part of a irc network which used to do bad things (released Win 2003 before MS and office 2003 ) but now works with MS and serves windows alpha and beta software, inc longhorn/vista/office 12 and have being doing so before most in public even knew about longhorn.

One guy worked for MS other used to work for AMD and has good contacts, thats also who gives us the software before anyone else, and YES MS are there and turn a blind eye as they get 1000's of free testers instead of paying a few hundred so longs we dont serve Retail final software (were allowed to serve SP2 before MS did to admins or later public as not retail software and its FREE.

I thought it was common know how thats your going to get DX10 for XP, cause Ive alway read that in reports, but it will be after Vista and again Id guess with SP3.

BTW, MS annouced lifespan of XP not too long ago and its going t have a SP3, now hardware makers who make gpus wouldnt be happy if everyone on XP didnt buy their DX10 cards as they would either not run or only run DX9C, infact there is another build above 9C which aint 10, but as I BBL gotta run and I will try get more info but not naming anyone.

The games and apps made for vista not running on XP has nothing to do with DX10, just Vista is totally different from current windows where as XP was able to run most 9x games (not all) and windows 2000 drivers when lack of XP ones when OS was new, this time round you wont have this luxury.

Last edited:
Associate
amdnv said:
The games and apps made for vista not running on XP has nothing to do with DX10, just Vista is totally different from current windows where as XP was able to run most 9x games (not all) and windows 2000 drivers when lack of XP ones when OS was new, this time round you wont have this luxury.
I guess a great many of us will be dual-booting for a few years yet then...

Permabanned
No idea if software makers will be quick to get apps/drivers ready, I hope far better than current XP64bit support, it wasnt to bad when XP was new though I did have to use some win2000 drivers or beta drivers at the time.

I dont see myself wanting to run XPSP3 once Vista is out, SP3 wont be as big a deal as SP2 was where MS said it was more like a refreshed OS than the previous SP1.

P.S Is it me or is the clocks here still on old time setting ie now -1GMT ?.

Back
Top Bottom