Motherboard fan on ASUS motherboard

Permabanned
My motherboard fan is quite noisy if I disable it will it affect the system that much? It's only a small fan.

Associate
I took the fan off my gigabyte mobo and just run it passive on the heatsink, works fine and dont get hot and totally stable, i have good case cooling though.

I also run the fan on my other mobo at really low speed, 700rpm and the northbridge sink doesnt get hot either.

Take it off and montior to make sure it doesnt get too hot, if the system crashes or anything you know its overheating so put the fan back on or buy a zalman passive northbridge cooler.

Associate
I would definatley get a Zalman silent northbridge cooler. Put one on my board and it works a treat. Those tiny NB fans can be very noisy indeed :)

Albaba

Soldato
I have posted a pic a few times, but I just uplugged my fan and used a 90mm tricool fan running at 1500rpm. It is much quieter and runs cooler. I stuck it to the bottom of the case with blu-tac which also helped dampen vibrations.

Associate
I took the fan off my Asus mobo and put the Zalman passive northbirdge cooler on and have not had a problem with it, the fan was really high pitched and nasty sounding so the zalman was worth the few quid it costs and then some.

Associate
TONY said:
I took the fan off my Asus mobo and put the Zalman passive northbirdge cooler on and have not had a problem with it, the fan was really high pitched and nasty sounding so the zalman was worth the few quid it costs and then some.

I have done this in the past but when I went to install X1900XT I had to remove Zalman to make space. Sadly I had an incident cutting pins of Zalman and now own a Premium model that has a small passive cooler. But if space does not matter I would second the Zalman cooler worked great :)

Suspended
Its because Asus developed a fan which they put on most of their mobo's and it goes. So ring up Asus and they'll sent you a new free one.

Mine's bee okay since then.

Old one unclips via 2 holes in mobo and then new one slots on.

Permabanned
OP
Rednut05 said:
Its because Asus developed a fan which they put on most of their mobo's and it goes. So ring up Asus and they'll sent you a new free one.

Mine's bee okay since then.

Old one unclips via 2 holes in mobo and then new one slots on.

Cheers for that although I prefer to go for the heatsink method.

Back
Top Bottom