The Xerox XA7-19i an all rounder?

Soldato
Oooo, first post in the monitor forums. Anyway, after my exams I'll be looking for a decent TFT to replace my 15" TFT poop from Fujitsu-Siemens. It has served me well but alas, the time has come to throw it out. I read the sticky and the user reviews on this monitor and from those, I cannot see why people don't rave about this screen? It has quite vibrant colours and good blacks thanks to the glass-type screen and shows little ghosting in games/movies.

Please tell me why people aren't harping on about these. Is there anything else out there at this price (£240) which is better for movies and games? This is to compliment my logitech Z5500's and perhaps run my PS2/PS3 games on like a TV screen as I only have a 14" in my room.

Also, it has a no dead pixel warranty to boot, what more can you ask for!

Finally, thanks to anyone who replies - I'm sure you must get pretty bored of these.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
only reason it isnt raved about really is that it is still only a TN Film panel ultimately. It's viewing angles are pretty restricitve, especially vertiaclly, and movie playback is not TN Film'#s strong point. there are a lot of very good TN Film based models available for similar prices like the Samsung 913N for instance. If you like the design of the Xerox and the glass screen then it might be worth a look, but technology wise, it isn't anything particularly fantastic

Soldato
OP
Thanks baddass - I looked at the 913N but have always had a thing for the Sony and their shiny screens :D - though Xerox isn;t as shiny so at least I can play games ok.

I read up on the TN etc panels. TN obviously is the gamers choice but then again, I've been happily playing games on a 15" 1024x768 25ms screen so anything lower is an improvement. Apparently, the non-TN better panels only do 16ms average but I wouldn't notice that as it will still be an improvement. Basically, I just an all rounder, and it seemed as though this was a good screen for that.

Also, what is your take on widescreen? I know it's a bit subjective but I saw that 20" Dell which looks good or others which are also at the £300ish price point. They are probably better for films as they are widescreen but I've always preferred my nice square 5:4 screens.

Soldato
This screen was raved about massively a while ago, when the specs suggested it to be an MVA panel. Since then it turned out that hardly any(If any at all) MVA panels made it to Britain. As such, the Xerox is a slightly expensive TN panel, with the premium price being payed for the glass front. In the end it is a nice screen, and a great looker. The down points to it though are; Its a TN panel, It isn't adjustable in terms of height, rotation etc and its not VESA complatible. If you like the look of it though, and your willing to pay a premium for the glass front, then i'd say go for it.

Man of Honour
smids said:
Basically, I just an all rounder, and it seemed as though this was a good screen for that.

Also, what is your take on widescreen? I know it's a bit subjective but I saw that 20" Dell which looks good or others which are also at the £300ish price point. They are probably better for films as they are widescreen but I've always preferred my nice square 5:4 screens.

I think you could find much more "all round" screens in the 19" market. Models like the Viewsonic VP930 for instance dont suffer from the drawbacks of TN Film technology and so offer much wider viewing angles, smoother movie playback, better black depth etc.

WS is certainly a popular choice right now and there is a big push on 20"WS monitors at the moment. It might be worth having a read of this article which covers the models which are popular right now. Certainly very nice for movies, and the non TN models offer good all round performance. Some offer 1:1 pixel match and so playing games at WS is not an issue if you dont want to. I don't think i'd ever go back to a smaller screen or a non WS format. I use my screen and PC a lot for movies and it's excellent

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, I've been looking around all day at the different options. I'm thinking I might as well get a widescreen, at least my DVD's will look good and will just dump my 14" TV :D. I did have a look at the VP930 which is an excellent screen and at £307 came in just about the right price however, 20" is tempting and I have seen a few decent ones at good prices. I read your 19" guide which was very good :). Had a quick gander at that 20" range as you suggested and had my eye on that NEC, Viewsonic and Belinea.

I hate to be a pain but of those 3, do any offer resizing 1:1 pixel match for gaming at 5:4 resolutions? Don't go out of your way to find out, just if you know off-hand.

Many thanks,

Smids.

Soldato
OP
Rather than start a new thread, what is your take on the HP L2035 Badass? I've seen it for a good price, it suits my aspect ratio (1600x1200) and was just wondering if it is any good? It's a nice 20.1". I'm just not convinced about widescreen and I could always use bars for movies, it doesn't bother me that much, just not sure on the gaming front here.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
hi smids. It's using the same 16ms S-IPS LG.Philips panel as used in the Dell 2001FP / Viewsonic VP201 etc. Not a bad performer, but a little dated now really. not the most responsive screen out there and certainly not matching the responsiveness of modern screens and modern AS-IPS panels. However, many people find the panel fine for gaming anyway.

Soldato
OP
Choosing a good monitor has become really hard now.

I've changed my mind about 10 times so far. The Belinea 20" Wide looks like a decent screen, and the Viewsonic. I think I might just get the Viewsonic and be done with it. I'm really surprised that a lot of the widescreens don't offer pixel matching as it is asy to do if you have more pixels than required but oh well. The Viewsonic looks good, and I know ther build quality will probably be better than Belinea's. I'm also waiting to see those new Xerox Wide panels which apprently are decent. Still, I've got until the end of May after my exams to decide. Let's see what happens in the meantime. Thanks for all your help though Badass, it's certainly got me thinking and your sticky's are damn useful :).

Man of Honour
smids no worries, glad that they were helpful. Worth having a look at some of the new models coming out between now and the end of may. Pixel matching is certainly helpful, and i think WS is a nice thing ot have personally. Have another look round at what's hot in a month or twos time :)

Soldato
OP
Oh gawd, sorry Baddass - I'm kicking at your door again.

I noticed that the Phillips 200WC6S does actually support 1:1 pixel match! :D - and in my price range. I might have found a provisional winner. Anyway, onto the point of this post. Now I see lots of places selling these monitors, however, often they list it as 16ms whereas on your website it is 8ms. Was there a second revision of this monitor with the updated 8ms panel as opposed to the original 16ms. Even OcUK list 8ms, so I'm baffled. I'll still hold on for now, but if nothing new and exciting arises, we could be on to a winner. :D. Also, there is often a number at the end e.g. 200WC6S/00 or /20 yet Phillips only list one model. Is there an explanation for this?

Man of Honour
the 200W6CS used to be a 16ms panel (16ms S-IPS from LG.Philips, same as the Dell 2005FPW). However, Philips recently updated the panel and it is now rated as an 8ms screen. Some retailers might still have the old 16ms stock, so be careful, but ocUK have confimed they only have the new stock so is definitely 8ms rated

Back
Top Bottom