Unstable AMD system after months of use

Soldato
I've got an AMD Venice 3000 that does 2.6GHz on 1.5v stable, I ran it at this for months then bought an Opteron 144 and 146 that both overclocked like crazy which I have both sold. Back to my AMD 3000 Venice and now I'm getting problems, at stock..

I've got a DFI NF4 SLi-D, 2x512 GSkill LE and an Enermax 600W PSU.

I've ran memtest 5 and 8, nothing turned up so I'm fairly sure the memory is ok. I've ran Prime95 24.14 with custom FFTs and it turned up nothing, so I'm also fairly sure the CPU is ok. This leaves PSU, motherboard, possibly hard-drives I'm not sure.

The problem I get random reboots, usually when I suddenly do something requiring CPU usage like a virus/spyware scan. This happens infrequently, say 1-2 a fortnight but none the less it happens. I've got a suspicion it may be the PSU because I've heard if the voltage spikes it will reboot so this sounds the most likely, it doesn't freeze or anything, just reboots.

Any advice is welcomed. Any advice on how to test my PSU is also welcome, I'd prefer not to borrow a multi-meter to do so (but will do if necessary).

Soldato
OP
Hm, interesting never heard of that. I was intending to re-overclock it but obviously would prefer it stable at stock first, but if this solves it then that would be brilliant.

I'll report back if I have problems, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom