A8R32-MVP what is it

Suspended
No problems at all with digital (optical) Don't want to use coaxial due to bad experience with Soundblaster Live damaging another component and Soundcard popping.

Associate
squiffy said:
No problems at all with digital (optical) Don't want to use coaxial due to bad experience with Soundblaster Live damaging another component and Soundcard popping.
Tried both with 0 success. I can't think that I have missed any particular configuration it just does'nt seem to work. With the logitech Z-5500 speakers I have it just reports as stereo 96/24 :(

Last edited:
Suspended
Did you use the latest Realtek drivers from their own site, and not the ones on Asus's site?

With optical can you see red light from the end of the cable? Enabled soundcard in BIOS? Enabled optical out? Changed sampling rate/frequency? ie change to 44.1khz. Optical out is going straight into a DAC.

Last edited:
Associate
squiffy said:
Did you use the latest Realtek drivers from their own site, and not the ones on Asus's site?

With optical can you see red light from the end of the cable? Enabled soundcard in BIOS? Enabled optical out? Changed sampling rate/frequency? ie change to 44.1khz. Optical out is going straight into a DAC.

Yep tried the latest drivers, red light comes out and soundcard is definately working as it outputs stereo in test that comes with the drivers. All I did was install drivers, change output to 6CH Speaker and try a test.

I hope I am missing something obvious? The strange thing is that the second I place it into the older system the logitech base says Effect: Digital but when I do same with new system it says 'No Digital Data' which means, I guess, i missed something obvious? :)

Last edited:
Suspended
Do you have any other audio gear with optical/coaxial inputs? I've had "locking on" problems with certain pieces of audio equipment, even though both items are working fine with others (say one DVD player causes problems with certain processor, the DVD is fine with another processor)

I didn't need to do anything with the Realtek options to get it to work, just plugged in cable and switched input on the DAC. Try changing speaker settings to 2 channel. Perhaps the output is sending multi-channel and the decoding on the speakers isn't locking on.

Associate
squiffy said:
Do you have any other audio gear with optical/coaxial inputs? I've had "locking on" problems with certain pieces of audio equipment, even though both items are working fine with others (say one DVD player causes problems with certain processor, the DVD is fine with another processor)

I didn't need to do anything with the Realtek options to get it to work, just plugged in cable and switched input on the DAC. Try changing speaker settings to 2 channel. Perhaps the output is sending multi-channel and the decoding on the speakers isn't locking on.

Tried my PS2 and it worked fine and changed every option I could, switched between digital/coax and no joy. Looks like the issue was in my understanding of things.

I expected the mobo to do dolby digital decoding but it looks like it doesnt. According to http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/products1-2.aspx?modelid=2005041 I need the ALC882D chip?

:( ?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

I take it you have the realtek icon in the lower right of your screen next to the windows clock?

If so have you clicked on it and set the output manually? By default it's set to off, in the Audio I/O tab there's a small spanner above digital output, if you click this a new tab opens up allowing you to set the frequency and output manually, on mine it can be set all the way to 192khz.

If you've already done this then sorry.....

BTW I read the other day that no motherboard will provide multi channel output via it's own native spdif??? I think there are some new soundcards that do this, I believe there is a thread about them in the sound section of the forum.

Raja

Associate
raja said:
It seems to work ok with dual cores (keeping htt around 250) and my corsair 3500ll pro, so the answer from me is yes, if there were other rd580 boards out then perhaps I would consider those over this.
Thanks for the comment Raja and Squiffy. I am building a new PC this weekend and wanted to know if its worth going for the new Xfire Asus board or something tried and tested like SLI and the DFI LAN party. A little more difficult to make my mind up than I thought it would be :D . Would be easier if the new DFI RD580 chipset board was out :(
Phil

Associate
I have now had this board for nearly a week and have, so far, found it excellent. I have not come accross any of the issues decribed in this thread.

What have i got...

• Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe - from OCUK with Bios revision 0311 pre installed.
    AMD X2 4400 Dual Core CPU
    2 x 1GB Sticks of Gskill 4000 HZ
    1 x Connect 3D X1900 XT - Crossfire GPU
    1 x Connect 3D X1900 XTX
    Seasonic 600W PSU
    2 x 150GB Raptors in Raid 0 (For OS's)
    2 x 250GB Hitachi SATAII drives in raid 0 for (Storeage)
    NEC DVD Burner
    Coolermaser Stacker 810 Case
    Saitek Keyboard
    Razer Diamondback mouse

Sound is connected via the onboard and played through Logitech Z-5500's using Optical SPDIF.

Setup:
1. Microsoft server 2003 SP1 (For work) on partition 1 of the Raptors
2. MS XP x64 Pro (games) on partition 2 of the Raptors
3. MS XP Pro 32 bit SP2 (32 bit games) on partition 3 of the Raptors

Out of the box I set this up as above, i have tweaked as follows...

Bios:
Set Bios to 600HT speed.
Set Multi to 10x
Set HTT to 260
Set RAM *See bellow*
Set RAM Volts to 2.75
Set CPU Volts to 1.375
Set CPU Over volts to 100mv
Enable Raid for the SATA drives.

RAM Settings for Gskill PC4000 HZ 2GB at 260Mhz HT...
Memclock Mode = Limit
Memclock Value = 200Mhz
MCT Timing Mode = manual
CAS (cl) = 3.0
TRAS = 8
TRP = 4
TRCD = 4
TRRD = Auto
TRC = Auto
TRFC = Auto
TRWT = Auto
MCT Extra Timing Mode = Auto
User Config Mode = manual
Read Pre = 5.5ns
Async latency = 7.9ns
CMD-ADDR Time Mode = 1T
Bank Interleave = Auto
Burst Length = 4 Bannks

Windows:
Used drivers from the CD Supplied with the mobo and simply ran the 'All Drivers' option, but de-selected 'Cool and quiet'.

Installed CAT 6.3 for the ATI and enabled CrossFire.
Set GPU to 675 Core / 750 Ram

So far I have seen rock steady reliability. Both the Work OS and the Game OS have been sweet. 3D2006 currently at 9362 . Played UT, CODII, FarCry, NFS:MW for many hours without any issues and with ATI Maxed quality settings.

My advice to anyone still having problems is to RMA thier board and get a new one. The ONLY issue i have is that when changing anything in the Bios (while overclocked) F10 does not re-boot properly - it just cycles restart over and over. Simply power off and on again and all is 100% well.

I hope this post helps bring some confidence back to a wonderful board. Maybe my experience is not typical, but i am just telling it like it is for me.
Also with a Dual Core CPU and using for work, I suppose i should recognise that i'm not pushing the CPU too hard.... even so 260HTT Ram 1:1 is not bad at all.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi & welcome,

I'm assuming this is still board revision 1.03g?

Your findings are the same as mine, with dual cores and upto 260 htt things are fine. The main remaining issue is for those who are trying to achieve 300htt 1:1 (it's upsetting for some as their old motherboards achieved this), mainly this applies to opterons. But I agree for all other purposes the board is now fine.
It should get better for us as a new bios is supposedly on the horizon.

Raja

Associate
SimonMaltby said:
I have now had this board for nearly a week and have, so far, found it excellent. I have not come accross any of the issues decribed in this thread.

What have i got...

• Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe - from OCUK with Bios revision 0311 pre installed.
    AMD X2 4400 Dual Core CPU
    2 x 1GB Sticks of Gskill 4000 HZ
    1 x Connect 3D X1900 XT - Crossfire GPU
    1 x Connect 3D X1900 XTX
    Seasonic 600W PSU
    2 x 150GB Raptors in Raid 0 (For OS's)
    2 x 250GB Hitachi SATAII drives in raid 0 for (Storeage)
    NEC DVD Burner
    Coolermaser Stacker 810 Case
    Saitek Keyboard
    Razer Diamondback mouse

Sound is connected via the onboard and played through Logitech Z-5500's using Optical SPDIF.

Setup:
1. Microsoft server 2003 SP1 (For work) on partition 1 of the Raptors
2. MS XP x64 Pro (games) on partition 2 of the Raptors
3. MS XP Pro 32 bit SP2 (32 bit games) on partition 3 of the Raptors

Out of the box I set this up as above, i have tweaked as follows...

Bios:
Set Bios to 600HT speed.
Set Multi to 10x
Set HTT to 260
Set RAM *See bellow*
Set RAM Volts to 2.75
Set CPU Volts to 1.375
Set CPU Over volts to 100mv
Enable Raid for the SATA drives.

RAM Settings for Gskill PC4000 HZ 2GB at 260Mhz HT...
Memclock Mode = Limit
Memclock Value = 200Mhz
MCT Timing Mode = manual
CAS (cl) = 3.0
TRAS = 8
TRP = 4
TRCD = 4
TRRD = Auto
TRC = Auto
TRFC = Auto
TRWT = Auto
MCT Extra Timing Mode = Auto
User Config Mode = manual
Read Pre = 5.5ns
Async latency = 7.9ns
CMD-ADDR Time Mode = 1T
Bank Interleave = Auto
Burst Length = 4 Bannks

Windows:
Used drivers from the CD Supplied with the mobo and simply ran the 'All Drivers' option, but de-selected 'Cool and quiet'.

Installed CAT 6.3 for the ATI and enabled CrossFire.
Set GPU to 675 Core / 750 Ram

So far I have seen rock steady reliability. Both the Work OS and the Game OS have been sweet. 3D2006 currently at 9362 . Played UT, CODII, FarCry, NFS:MW for many hours without any issues and with ATI Maxed quality settings.

My advice to anyone still having problems is to RMA thier board and get a new one. The ONLY issue i have is that when changing anything in the Bios (while overclocked) F10 does not re-boot properly - it just cycles restart over and over. Simply power off and on again and all is 100% well.

I hope this post helps bring some confidence back to a wonderful board. Maybe my experience is not typical, but i am just telling it like it is for me.
Also with a Dual Core CPU and using for work, I suppose i should recognise that i'm not pushing the CPU too hard.... even so 260HTT Ram 1:1 is not bad at all.
Hi Simon,
This system you have built is very close to what I am getting so thanks for the info as it puts my mind at ease.
Phil

Soldato
Hi, but unfortunately you can't RMA a board if it's not faulty, my motherboard went back and tested ok and I had to be very forceful that I felt I could reject it under the sale of goods act, only had it for less than seven days. The problem is that they will only test it with what they've got and if it doesn't match what you have it doesn't matter and you will have a fight on your hands. I am still waiting for my account to be re-imbursed from my first motherboard, not OcUK, and I am still waiting for OcUK to test out my RMA'd memory, one has to be patient as well...
ChrisC

Last edited:
Associate
hi, forgive me for not reading the entire thread but im having a slight problem and i half-suspect the mobo ...when im playing games (BF2/Oblivion/Flightsim 2004 - over 2 monitors).
Occasionaly the game will freeze for about a 10th of a second (sometimes a little longer) and ill get a loud sound, like when you touch a metal object with an audio jack and you get that horrid noise through the speakers.. it also sounds a bit like when Neo is leaving the matrix in the movie.
Im running the latest sound & video drivers, Bios 0311. My OC is prime stable for 13 hours (not tested any longer).
I seem to remember people getting freezing in games with this mobo and i was wondering if this was the sort of effect they where getting? - and wasnt bios 0311 supposed to sort that out?? :confused:

rig in sig

thx

Associate
Hi,

That could be a whole host of things. The manifestation of the pre 311 bios lock ups, was usually for 5 seconds or so, every ten seconds of playing.

Try posting in as many other forums as you can to see if someone has similar issues. That's the only way to get any real idea of what's going on.

I have not had any of those types of lockups since the bios updates, I don't think anyone else has either.

The only game that has been troublesome is Oblivion, it does not like my system when it's overclocked above 2.55ghz or so, especially whilst using HDR. So I have to knock it back a little.

BTW what's the power available on the psu rail for the 1900xtx?

Raja

Associate
Thanks Chris, the psu certainly seems adequate 20a and 17a 12v rails.

BTW can anyone who has installed pc probe, please tell me what the 3.3v rail is showing? Mine is around 4v, which is a little higher than it should be.
I have a feeling that it's the accuracy of the reading rather than the voltage that's out.

Back
Top Bottom