Motherboard Case Standoffs

Soldato
I was building a system at the weekend for my Nephew and when I was putting the motherboard in the case, as I was tightening the screws into the Brass standoffs supplied by Coolermaster with the case 2 of the 9 screws mangled the threads and rounded out their heads!... :(

The thing is the screws were not fully in the holes and now they (sort of) rattle!... and I can't remove them without fear of damage to the board!!.

As it was only 2 of the 9 and not major positioned ones, is it ok if I carry on!... the other 7 fixings?... How would I safly remove them and start again without damage!?!...

The other 7 fixings are perfecly fine!.

Any help would be great!!!...

Cheers
Simon :(

Associate
Simian said:
I was building a system at the weekend for my Nephew and when I was putting the motherboard in the case, as I was tightening the screws into the Brass standoffs supplied by Coolermaster with the case 2 of the 9 screws mangled the threads and rounded out their heads!... :(

The thing is the screws were not fully in the holes and now they (sort of) rattle!... and I can't remove them without fear of damage to the board!!.

As it was only 2 of the 9 and not major positioned ones, is it ok if I carry on!... the other 7 fixings?... How would I safly remove them and start again without damage!?!...

The other 7 fixings are perfecly fine!.

Any help would be great!!!...

Cheers
Simon :(

I would try a set of needle nosed self locking pliers and use them very carfully the ones i have in my box are vice grips and they have a v shaped groove in them that would help in your situation

Associate
Simian said:

Just how tight were you trying to get them :confused:
Anyway i wouldnt worry about them tbh, but when you do get round to pulling the board out you'll hopefully find the standoffs will unscrew from the backplate (unless you did them really tight too) then you can just grab hold of them with pliers etc.

Soldato
OP
Steves_pc said:
Just how tight were you trying to get them :confused:
Anyway i wouldnt worry about them tbh, but when you do get round to pulling the board out you'll hopefully find the standoffs will unscrew from the backplate (unless you did them really tight too) then you can just grab hold of them with pliers etc.

I wasn't trying to get them tight!... I was just doing them up!...

Its the Screws to through the Mobo into the standoffs!!...

I think the Soft Brass has cross threaded somehow!... :( The Screws themselvs are mahosivly tight due to this!... and the Philips Heads have rounded!, I didn't tighten them that much!... its just Crap Screws and Crap Brass!!!... :(

Associate
I'd either try to get them loose enough to saw away the head, or drill them out, with both you'll have to be careful, assuming there's enough room to do anything like this in the first place.

Associate
Simian said:
I wasn't trying to get them tight!... I was just doing them up!...
Its the Screws to through the Mobo into the standoffs!!...

Yes i gathered that, wasnt very clear with what i meant though :rolleyes:
when you come to trying to undo the screws if they undo from the standoff's then hopefully the standoffs will undo instead and you'll still get the board out, but i still would'nt bother over just a couple, so long as nowt's vibrating.

Soldato
OP
Naa... as I try to undo the Screws it just un-screws the standoffs from the case the screws are in there for good (unless I can find a slitting disc and carefully take the heads off!... :( )

Oh well... I'll see what happens when I put Windows and all the other software on!... Hopefully it won't go 'POP'

Cheers
Guys..

Back
Top Bottom