Wireless Online Gaming

Soldato
Might be a bit of a longshot, but does anyone here use a wireless connection to play online games such as PES5 ?

The reason is, I've been experiencing some problems with the game losing connection randomly and I'm trying to narrow down the problem.

If you could post your router, any problems you had, and any settings you changed on your router to ensure games worked online I'd appreciate it. It's on the back of a thread in the Internet and Connectivity forum here.

Permabanned
I had to disable windows wireless service and run intels own utility (its an onboard intel wireless adaptor),this stopped my game pausing every minute or so.

Associate
My brother regularly has this problem with CS (as he can't play CS:S as he relies on hardware passed down from me)

anyway his main problem is weak signal which seems to like dropping when playing games. (This has yet to be resolved, and will remain this way till he gets off his backside and gets a proper job)

Associate
I've got a linksys WRT54G Wireless Router and I had problems with my Sony Viao. Basically it would connect ok for a while, then the connection speed would gradually drop until it finally disconnected, after a few seconds it would connect again, but I would be lucky to get 20 mins before it started degrading again.

After flashing the Router with the latest firmware and installing the latest driver for the integrated Intel wireless adapter on my laptop all these problems were resolved :) I've regularly played WoW using my Laptop and wireless network.

Soldato
mark_t50 said:
I've got a linksys WRT54G Wireless Router and I had problems with my Sony Viao. Basically it would connect ok for a while, then the connection speed would gradually drop until it finally disconnected, after a few seconds it would connect again, but I would be lucky to get 20 mins before it started degrading again.

After flashing the Router with the latest firmware and installing the latest driver for the integrated Intel wireless adapter on my laptop all these problems were resolved :) I've regularly played WoW using my Laptop and wireless network.

No probs here. Cheapo PCI Wireless Adaptor and a Zyxel Prestige P660 HW rotuer.

Good signal strength and pings are good.

Associate
I always used to get connection problems when playing BF2. I try and close any aplications that connect to the internet before I load it up. Before I had MSN and Outlook running in the background and my ping would be 600+ sometimes! :eek:

Now I close them all down and my ping goes down to around 28. My connection has sorted itself out some what. I've recently found out that it was my sister using up most of the connection because she leaves Limewire running even when she's not using it. :confused:

Permabanned
I have a basic speedtouch wirless router connecting to the net and on my other pc i have cheap belkin 125 mbs usb network adapter ...Plays all games fine ..good ping never lost connection yet ... Signal strenth never changes

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I use wireless over a 10mbps LAN and a 512k ADSL connection and have no issues playing any games online. There also two other PC's connected via Cat 5 and they mostly just browse the web at the same time as my gameplay

I disabled windows wireless utility and use my adapters connection utility. My old Belkin PCI adapter was carp and randomly lost connection. I'm now using an Asus adapter which is perfect.

Now it could be the game has a memory leak with its network programming and thats crashing your router. My router used suffer heavily of such issues (D-Link 604+) but after a few firmware updates it runs pukka

The only other than default setting on my router is that all PC's are MAC addressed so that an outside PC cannot connect to out router. This might help, it might not.

Soldato
OP
mark_t50 said:

I've got the same router and the EXACT same problem. I'm on the latest firmware for the router, and the latest drivers for my PCI card.

I might try and disable the windows wireless utility and use the Linksys one instead. See what happens, but in the past it hasn't been successful.

Cheers for your feedback guys, I've got a few ideas to try.

Back
Top Bottom