Mmmm...Steak!!

Caporegime
Heston Blumenthal recommends turning every 15 seconds in a very hot griddle.

Any suggestions of George Foreman Grills will be met with scornful derision.

Caporegime
Crush the pepper corns, sieve off the powdery bits, roll the edge of the steak in the big bits.

(It might help if you have string to secure the meat - Although you haven't said what cut you have).

Man of Honour
OP
Gilly said:
Got a griddle pan?

Get it cooked on that for ~4 mins a side. Eat with dauphinoise.

Do you mean those pans with the little divets in them for the fat to escape? I think I do have one of them, hmmm i'll have a crack at that.

Do I add any herbs or whatnot before hand?

Man of Honour
OP
Borris said:
Crush the pepper corns, sieve off the powdery bits, roll the edge of the steak in the big bits.

(It might help if you have string to secure the meat - Although you haven't said what cut you have).

I have lots of whole peppercorns, and the cut says on the lid "Fresh Irish BEEF SIRLOIN STEAK ideal for frying and grilling"

Caporegime
greenlizard0 said:
I have lots of whole peppercorns, and the cut says on the lid "Fresh Irish BEEF SIRLOIN STEAK ideal for frying and grilling"
Sirloin's best left unsullied by peppercorns - just make sure you leave the fat on (hold it fat side down on the heat to get some man sized flavour going).

Griddle the aspagrass too.

Soldato
Griddle isnt to let the fat escape, its so that you can have a really hot pan with out burning the surface of the steak.

I would suggest,

Griddle, small amount of olive oil.

Add lots of heat. Sear both sides of the steak in one swift movement then cook on each side for as long as you want. If the pan is hot enough shouldnt take more than 5-6 min if you have a big piece of steak.

KaHn

/ah, irish steak. Not a huge fan too chewy for my liking, with the peppercorns you could add a couple while frying to add a peppery taste but may aswell just leave it

Soldato
If the steak was sirloin and 2cm thick I would heat a pan till it is very hot and add a small amount of oil. I would place the steak in the pan and leave it alone for 4 minutes. I would then turn the steak over and leave for four minutes. At this point I would prod the steak if it is soft to the touch its needs more cooking if it is firm I would serve it (really 4 mins each side it should be done but if you cook straight from the fridge maybe not). A few fried onions, some mustard and some chips or a jacket potato are all a decent steak needs.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Got a griddle pan?

Get it cooked on that for ~4 mins a side. Eat with dauphinoise.

8 minutes cooking time? :eek:

Well if you like eating charcoal I guess that is up to you! ;)

Leave the sauces where they should be, in the pot or on other people's plates.

Soldato
Mmmm steak. Luckily i've got one waiting for me in my fridge for later :p

I'm also going through a bit of a garlic phase.. would crushing a clove and rubbing it into the steak before frying be nice do you think? Or maybe too overpowering?

Back
Top Bottom