Good Choices?

Associate
Hi,

I'm building my new PC at the end of the week and i'm looking to buy the products tomorrow. I'm pretty sure these components are a good match but I would like some more opinions just to make sure i've not forgotten something or something is not up to the job. The rig will mainly be used for gaming. I'm upgrading from an AMD64 3000+ , 1GB & X800XL
The specs:
DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D
AMD64 3700+ OEM
Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
Powercolor X1900XT
G.Skill ZX 2 GB
Seasonic S12 430W
Thermaltake Soprano
Asus DVD-RW
X-fi Music

I already have a 74gb raptor and a WD 120GB SATA from previous build.
Now i've a few questions:

1) Is the PSU up to the job? I know the X1900XT needs 30a on the 12v rails but this one has 29a so will it be fine? I wouldn't say i'm running an uber rig with neons, water pumps and 6 HDD's so thats why i'm not buying a 600W PSU. I just want to buy one that will run my rig comfortably.
2) Would an overclock to say 2.4Ghz - 2.6GHz be out of the question with these components?
3) Does the powercolor X1900XT come with the 6 pin PCI-E connector or will I have to buy one? As the Seasonic does not have one.

Thanks for any feedback

- MG42Maniac

Last edited:
Soldato
1) PSU might be struggling with that X1900 in their, especially if you plan on overclocking at all.
2) 2.6GHz should be pretty much easy so long as the psu holds up, you will probably need to put the memory on divider though, unless you run at really loose timings.
3) It doesnt list it as having one, perhaps someone can comment who has bought one, ocuk have a cable that will allow you to power it though.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks very much for the feedback :) I thought the PSU might not be up to it, due to the X1900's rep for sucking huge amounts of juice. I will replace the Seasonic with a Hiper 580w

Soldato
considered going dual core? this would greatly future proof your pc and would be worth it at only 40 or so pounds more than a 3700/

Associate
OP
This PC is only going to last for approx 10-12 months so i'm not to bothered about dual core. I'm finishing college in June and will be in full time work after that so I will have a lot more spare cash so if dual core is mainstream by August time I might buy a Dual Core CPU. My next PC will definetly be dual core though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom