Scooter licence stuff

Soldato
Ok last summer I managed to go around with a scooter on my provisinal licence without getting caught, but I don't want to take any risks this time :p I have passed my theory test, and I have done some driving lessons (car driving lessons). Will I need to take a different theory test just for the bike? And about the CBT test, how much is it going to cost me? Direct.gov says it's around 70 to 100 quid, but that's just the test, not including any sort of lessons, right? If the test is just riding a moped I guess I can do it without any lessons, if so, can I just turn up to a testing centre, pass it, and then be able to ride a scooter?

Edit: "Once you pass your standard motorcycle test you are restricted to machines of 25 kW (33 bhp) with a power to weight ratio of 0.16 kW/kg for two years." So I am guessing a 2stroke gilera runner 125 is nowhere near 33bhp right?

Last edited:

Dup

Dup

Soldato
On a provisional license after CBT you're limited to 15bhp, which the Gilera Runner 125 is.

Are you wanting to do your full bike license or just tootle around after a CBT? CBT is just a certificate of basic training which will allow you to ride upto a 125cc at 17 (50 at 16) at 15bhp with L plates. the CBT usually costs about £80 (at least mine did) and is a one off day event. No need for lessons unless you're a "special" person.

For the full restricted bike test, you usually do a course for £250 ish, £30 a lesson on top if you need it and get two goes at your test if you do it in winter if you go with a decent bunch. You will need a new theory for bikes specifically too.

Soldato
OP
Well I can only afford a runner at the moment, so I don't really mind the restriction, what abouts do I do on the day of the test? And on what? I mean will I get an automatic scooter, or..?

Soldato
You'll be supplied with everything if you need it and i assume you'd be able to choose a rev a go thing or one with gears.

As for the course of the day its pretty much unfailable for a start :)

Start with a quick bit of info on road safety
Then ride around in a car park area on the test site steering around cones etc.
Then more questions on theory
Then about 2 hours driving on the road. and then you get your certificate and do whatever you like.

It runs out after 3 years though so consider doing a bike license at some point

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
They will teach you how to ride on the CBT and not take you out onto the road or let you go home until they are happy with your riding. Don't forget they are bikers so they will have your safety in mind and will let you go when you are ready. You can't fail it but if you're really crap then they'll ask you to come back for some more practice to get you up to scratch.

The CBT costs about £70 and you pay extra to do it on one of their bikes. You will have to do this as you can't legally ride to the centre, or get your bike there somehow, cough, and then you can ride it home. If you use their bikes then pick one similar to what you want to get and it will be a similar ride to get used to.

With a CBT you will be able to ride up to 125cc with gears or automatic and there is a power restriction as well. All the scoots are well within the restriction so no worries there, any standard bike basically.

Hope that clears a few things up :)

Soldato
OP
Sounds fairly easy, I mean how wrong can I get it? :p I won't be getting a scooter here, I am getting one back home in Greece, the traffic in Athens is just silly, and a car is more expensive, no place to park it, it gets around 45c in the summer too so better to be out in the open.

Thanks guys :D Now, can I get a decent full face helmet for around £200? I am not after a top of the range arai, just something okish.

Soldato
Might need to check whether the license lets you use it over there, in fact you may be fine without the CBT if your in greece as your provisionaly will probably say scooters on it.
Mine was fine in Spain without the CBT though i still took it over here afterwards.

I'd also say get a helmet over in Greece as it'll be much cheaper.
I got a decent helmet in Spain for ~£90 euros when the exact helmet was £130 over here

Soldato
OP
Well giving a fine to a young guy driving a scooter without a helmet is a Greek cop's heaven so I just want to be on the safe side this summer :D I will be getting a helmet in Athens, I know a place close to me that only deals helmets, I just don't know what to get, should I get a standar full face? Should I get the one that opens up?

Back
Top Bottom