Crossfire vs Nforce ?

Associate
Well, if like me you don't plan adding a second card, it doesn't really matter which board you go for, but i'm going for the nforce4 MSI board with a single PCI-e lane, so then it doesn't matter if I get an ATI or Nvidia card.

Permabanned
If you are looking at getting a crossfire setup later though, the obvious way forward is the ATI chipset.

Permabanned
It will run perfectly well as far as I am aware. If you are really worried then get an ati chipset board, it will still be an excelent board.

Associate
Another n force hater here. I had an asus a8n-e and hated it, but most people on here seem to like them.
Just got a abit at8 crossfire. I too have an x1800xt not thinking of crossfiring it, but it's nice to have the option.
I'm very pleased with the at8.

Associate
Another person who prefer's the ATI chipset.. I started with a NF4 setup and it just refused to be stable with a dual core CPU.. swapped to an origonal Asus Crossfire board - no problems now :).

Soldato
nForce user here, and loving it.

No problems with stability, overclocking, dual core, anything.

If you insist on going ATI, just avoid the **** poor excuse for a chipset that was RD480, and make sure it's an RD580 instead.

Hav

Soldato
yep, i dont think theres any question as to which is better out of RD480 and nForce4.. RD580 imo is still not as good (nvidia fanboy :o) but is a hell of a lot closer. saying that nforce has been out a lot longer than the crossfire chipsets, got my mobo back in september i think :)

Associate
Havana_UK said:
nForce user here, and loving it.

No problems with stability, overclocking, dual core, anything.

If you insist on going ATI, just avoid the **** poor excuse for a chipset that was RD480, and make sure it's an RD580 instead.

Hav
The RD480 wasn't a bad chipset. In fact most of the issues where/are to do with the supporting cast... Poor ATI southbridge ( covered by using the ULI - I believe - one by Asus ), poor support for hardcore overclocking of older CPU's.

The Asus RD480 board is actually very nice, as long as you don't expect it to overclock like a £130 board. Excellent sound and very stable.

Sadly it seems the inital batch of RD580 boards have had some faults - hopefulyl the next batch will see them fixed.

Soldato
Using my 1st Nforce board, no problems here I am quite pleased with it, always had via chipset boards in the past.

I am looking at the - Abit AT8 32X - ATI® RD580 Crossfire when its finally released as I will eventually be crossfiring probally, I was interested in the Asus one but put off by all the hassles etc that some people are still having & quite shocked they released it early with all the faults expecting the customer's to be the beta testers for the board - disgusted, a motherboard should work out the box regardless of how new it is.

If your going to run 1 graphics card only, then I would go with the Nforce 4 as you will probally find its more established, had quite a few driver updates etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom